Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Nearly 2, knows when she is going to do a poo/wee but won't go near the potty

(9 Posts)
stantonjulie Fri 10-Jun-11 22:49:39

dd has developed this habit where she as soon as she gets in the bath she has a wee. I have shown her what to do with the potty and shown her wee wees on the toilet but she just says "no no no no no - no potty". Last week she got in the bath, told me she was going to do a pooh and then just did it. She then got extremely upset about it being in the bath with her (it was quite big - grim) and since then has got funny about having her nappy changed. She still won't go near the potty. Just not sure what to do. I work full time in a demanding role, have moved to a new area with no mum friends so feel very lost and unsure what to do or talk to. My partner seems to show no interest in potty training her and I worry she does it to get back at me for being out all day.

My mother unhelpfully tells me I was potty trained at 18m (don't believe her).

Hunterswish Sat 11-Jun-11 08:10:36

smile "BREATHE " smile
Ok she is nearly 2, thats the first point.
Poohs are very scary too ..
The potty is seen as an object of fear as we parents stress when trying to use or encourage the child to use it.
Every child develops at a different rate.She may even be nearly 3 before she gets the potty thing ?
Do not push her into it, allow her to be aware that it is there, on your week ends off or you time at home with her let her go around with no nappy and just leave the potty in the room.
IMO I believe she is too young though sad
Does she go to nursery at all while you are at work?
They are normally very good at helping getting your child into a routine.
Leave it for a while longer, and try again in a few months.You both need to be calm and relaxed when introducing the potty smile
Some parents use summer time to potty train as they can be out in the garden playing and the accidents are not too bad on the grass smile
Just take your time and don't rush her smile
She will get there smile How many 15 year old teenage girls do you know of still in nappies :0p
Just try again in a few months and do what works for you and your dd not take on anyone else's views, after all everyone who is anyone will be saying how advanced their child was when they achieved certain milestones !!! Yet they will never admit to the length of time it took or the stress it caused smile
oh and also they are known to laps too , my 3 yr old has been out of nappies for over a year and now she has started to wet at least twice a week sad drives me insane ! hey ho smile
Good luck and I hope it all goes well smile
Take care

Gastonladybird Sat 11-Jun-11 08:25:14

Wait - keep encouraging her as you have and she will get there. Dd was same but decided at 2 yr 7 to try and crack it after a few days of trying and she got it. Who looks after her when you work as need them to help ( nanny and I decided a plan and we both stuck to it).

Gastonladybird Sat 11-Jun-11 08:25:56

Oh Yeah and my mum was of the same you trained yourself aged 2 weeks etc - ignore it

jaggythistle Sat 11-Jun-11 08:26:14

my mum is a bit obsessed with me potty training DS, he's only 20 months so I'm doing my best to ignore her.

after our first bath poo, we introduced a 'bath only after a poo has already been produced recently' policy and have been ok so far! grin

DS sometimes tells us when he's doing or has done a wee but doesn't seem to have much of a clue otherwise.

sorry that was a bit of a long winded way of saying that i know what it's like to get hints from your mum and i feel better ignoring mine!

chubbly Tue 14-Jun-11 20:51:27

We had the potty downstairs for a while without it being used, dd was curious and would get it out to look at. Once we started putting her on it she got the idea but kept trying to play with it (use it to store blocks). What I'm trying to say is just let your dc get a bit more familiar with it. You may have to get one in their favorite colour. Then when she's happy to have it in the room start putting her on it, once or twice a day. Once she's happy just sitting on it, tell the nursery and they can re-inforce. It can take a long time as they are young but it does work eventually. If your dd is really against the potty just stop and try again after a couple of weeks.

stantonjulie Tue 14-Jun-11 21:51:15

Thanks so much everyone I feel much happier. It's tough when you have noone to talk to.

She goes to nursery part time in the week (my partner looks after her the rest of the time) and they have little toilets rather than potties. They're extremely good and she's very happy there so you're right, I'm sure she will suss it.

chubbly Wed 15-Jun-11 09:22:45

Hi Stantonjulie - you could try one of those padded toilet seats, they fit over the normal toilet seat and come in lots of colours, ours has handles so dd feels very secure as she has something to hold on to. But this is totally your call, my dd used to come with me to the loo so she knows that it's a 'big potty'. She was really chuffed when we first put her on the toilet, but it can be really scary as it's high and exposed. So it may need introducing again.
I'm only suggesting it as there are four or five children at my dd's nursery that use these little seats and for us it really re-inforced the training. Good luck!

stantonjulie Thu 16-Jun-11 20:34:46

Thanks Chubbly - just got one. I showed it to dd but she was still a definite "no" but she was curious about the picture of the baby sitting on one so I've propped it up on the loo. Dolly is sitting on the potty for now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now