Talk

Advanced search

What clothes are best while potty training?

(6 Posts)
SquallyRose Thu 09-Jun-11 22:09:31

Hi,
My DD has just turned 2 and decided she wanted to use the potty and toilet.
Things are going really well so far but we are strugggling with clothes.
If she has a bare bum she is fine and will lift her skirt to sit on the potty, however in pants, which she is so proud of, she has accidents and she gets a bit upset with herself ( she often just runs off and goes when she needs to without telling me, if she tells me she's going I'll obviously help her with her clothes) and also as she likes to go on the potty backwards she ends up sitting with the pants inside the potty round her legs and then wees straight throught them or she catches the potty as she gets off and empties it all over the floor. Also when out we seem to get in a tangle with pants, shoes/boots etc and obviously she doesn't have enough control to hold it for long so I don't want to cause her to have accidents because she has the wrong things on, often when out she will tell me at the last minute or as she's started to go so I need to be able to react quickly. I do ask her if she wants to go while out but she oftner goes for a while without going then will do 2 or 3 in 5 mins or so before being dry for a while again so I don't always ask at the right times
Sorry if I sound like a real idiot, I had a baby recently and then we moved house so although she has been very wee/poo aware for a while I wasn't intending even thinking about trying to train her until everything had settled back down into a familiar routine so she's rather caught me on the hop with her decision smile

BikeRunSki Thu 09-Jun-11 22:12:31

DS is six months older, but we are doing OK in elasticated/rib waist shorts. And crocs - easy to wash if he wet on them,.

SquallyRose Thu 09-Jun-11 22:17:26

Do you put pants on too or just the shorts? Crcs are a really good idea too, thanks very much

BikeRunSki Thu 09-Jun-11 22:53:07

Pants too. But only if they have Thomas the Tank Engine on!

girlywhirly Fri 10-Jun-11 13:16:48

Get her to pull her pants right down to her ankles before sitting on the potty, should help to stop them getting caught and wet on.

stayfree Fri 10-Jun-11 18:54:44

How long has she been wetting on her clothes? Sometimes it just takes them a while to get used to the co-ordination of needing to go, holding on and then dealing with pulling clothes down. My dd was like yours for a few wks, ie fine with bare bum or skirt with no knickers. Then when she started saying she needed to go after a couple of wks, i started putting her in knickers and skirt and helping her get them down. Then we progressed to leggings/trousers/tights with pants, she is fine with them now, sometimes needs some help but because she says, i just help her. My dd is 2.10 yrs btw.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: