Talk

Advanced search

have just started potty training my 2.5 year old shall i carry on !!!! tips please

(7 Posts)
tinkbig Fri 03-Jun-11 20:02:37

hi
i started potty training my 2.5 year old beginning of this week
she hasnt done too bad!!
i put her straight into cotton pants and sat her on the potty every 15 minutes
had only 2 accidents each day but never on the potty
shall i carry on

MrsTittleMouse Fri 03-Jun-11 20:09:08

"2 accidents but never on the potty" - I don't really understand, could you explain please?

My attitude is that if you are having to sit her on the potty every 15 minutes then she is probably not ready. Has she been talking to you about the sensations of weeing and pooing? I had the attitude that I would try potty training with full commitment for three days and if there was no improvement then she wasn't ready. My DD used to tell me that she didn't need a wee mere seconds before having an accident. I called it all off and 6 months later she asked to wear pants and trained herself with hardly any accidents.

tinkbig Fri 03-Jun-11 20:09:11

have just purchased 2 potty training books

tinkbig Fri 03-Jun-11 20:23:51

i meant that she hasnt had a wee on the potty
having accidents on the floor
dont have to sit her on every 15 mins read somewhere that was a good idea
she always says when she has done a poo or just about to
hates being dirty
really enjoyed wearing the pants
when she did do an accident told me and didnt like it

sleepingsowell Fri 03-Jun-11 20:29:39

I agree with MrsTittle - I had a very similar approach, I kind of put aside 5 days where I planned nothing other than being in the house with DS and if he wasn't able to use the loo with no accidents at the end of that time then I would abandon it.

As it happened he was totally ready and there was no 'potty training' involved - he used the loo from day one.

I wouldn't make heavy weather of it, you don't even need a potty let alone 'training' - the only 'trick' is trying it to see if they're ready, if not try again a couple of months later.

sleepingsowell Fri 03-Jun-11 20:35:32

although I do concede a potty might be necessary if you have to get upstairs for the loo! The house we lived in when DS potty trained had a downstairs loo so I figured if he couldn't make it the few steps to the loo in time, he wasn't ready!!

tinkbig Fri 03-Jun-11 20:58:23

we dont have a downstairs loo
potty stays in loundge
have ordered the 2 potty training books and a potty
going to wait for them to arrive then will give it another go

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now