Talk

Advanced search

DD 2 ys 8 mths not interested in using potty

(7 Posts)
Bumblequeen Thu 02-Jun-11 11:56:36

My dd now wears pull ups as we felt they were more convenient when potty training. Dd calls them pants and she likes to wear knickers over them.

I try to get dd to sit on potty when we are home. This morning dd said she did not want to wear pull ups so I put her in knickers and asked her to tell me when she needs to wee or pop. Potty was very near by. Dd wet herself when watching cartoons. Put her back in pull ups. Should I have persisted?

Without sounding shallow we have a carpeted house and I would like to avoid having to scrub urine from them.

At nursery dd asks to use the potty- probably due to,seeing other children doing the same. Dd informs us when she has done a wee or poo so perhaps she does not have far to go.

My friend took her son to the toilet on the hour to kick statt his potty training but I feel the chuld needs to be aware and prompt the adult.

Bumblequeen Thu 02-Jun-11 11:58:10

Apologies for spelling errors. Dd was climbing all over me as I was typing!

emmaloupolman Thu 02-Jun-11 17:39:35

I started potty training my dd who is 2 ys 6 months last wednesday and went straight in pants.
I think pull ups are confusing and expensive he has had 1 accident the 2nd day and as of sunday has pants on in bed the only thing is he poo's in his pants but have heard this is very common.
If you put pull ups on everytime dd has an accident that prob wont help they need to fill that its not nice when they do it.
Hope this helps.

PacificDogwood Thu 02-Jun-11 17:43:21

Ditch the pull-ups - too confusing for her.
If you feel she is ready for potty training, lots of chocolate buttons praise when she gets it right and a breezy 'nevermind' and change of pants/outfit when it goes wrong. Which it will.

Or wait a bit longer. I did all of mine (all boys mind) @ 3 years and they all 'got it' within a couple of days. At least during the day... DS3 is 3.2 and still nappies at night.

LillianGish Thu 02-Jun-11 17:52:28

I agree you need to ditch the pull ups. I think you have to accept there will be a few accidents to start with and I also endorse the use of bribery when she gets it right. Both mine got it within a couple of days. If you are really bothered about the carpets why not wait til the weekend when you can spend all day in the garden.

emmaloupolman Thu 02-Jun-11 19:45:16

My dd also has a sticker reward chart we made he loves it

Bumblequeen Fri 03-Jun-11 23:39:38

Thanks for your advice.

Apparantely dd is potty training very well at nursery. We just need to continue this at home. They have advised us to pack several extra pairs of underwear in case she has accidents.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: