Talk

Advanced search

Day 1 has not gone well...

(15 Posts)
cheeseycharlie Sat 28-May-11 20:07:12

DD is 27 months. Doing the Gina 7-day "cold turkey" method, ie no pull ups just give them a week to get to grips with it and see how they get on.

Day 1: she has spent MASSES of time sitting on the potty, but nothing happening.
Zero has gone into potty/loo.
And here's the weird thing, only 4 accidents. A wee at 8 am, and then she held on until 12 noon for ther next wee. A poopoo after lunch, and a poopoo in the bath (has never pood in bath before).

Clearly she has bladder control! But is not doing it in the potty/loo.

Is it worth persisting or is she just not ready yet?

GastonTheLadybird Sat 28-May-11 20:08:54

Does she meet all of the signs for the 7 day cold turkey? I think the principle works but equally all of the signs need to be very definitely there.

notnowbernard Sat 28-May-11 20:11:37

I've done it 2 ways: 'trained' a 27m old - it was on/off/on/off forever <sigh>

and left one to do herself, basically...

Guess which was easier

cheeseycharlie Sat 28-May-11 20:35:56

She does meet all of the signs of readiness, except perhaps the one that says she should be "eager to participate in taking off his own clothes..." - she can do it but is lazy and likes me or DH to do it.

I'm thinking we try again tomorrow but if no joy then we try and salvage something from this weekend, go back to nappies and enjoy our bank hol Monday! Maybe another try in a month's time when I start mat leave (and when we move house... oo-er ever get the feeling you're trying to do too much??!!) confused

notnowbernard Sat 28-May-11 20:47:50

Are you due a 2nd baby soon? If yes, tbh I would wait with the PT

DC1 started really well but when DC2 turned up it all went tits up and the dry/regress/dry/regress cycle started up

And you're moving, too...

I'd go for the lazy easy life for now, personally grin

shoutymcshoutsmum Sun 29-May-11 16:36:26

What happened onday2 cheeseycharlie? We are on day 1 and have pretty much had the same day as you did yesterday. Three accidents, no successes sad

ZhenXiang Sun 29-May-11 16:40:24

Had same problem until I decided to show DD (23 months) myself, pulled down kecks and pretended to go on potty. She goes every time now poo and wee although has had the odd accident when excited/distracted by something she really likes which upsets her greatly. Now asks in the middle of the night when she wakes with nappy wet to use the potty. If you do try my method remember to close the curtains first wink

BikeRunSki Sun 29-May-11 16:50:06

We tried cold turkey on Good Friday. DS (2yr 8mnth) wet himself once, and decided he didn't like it, so he just held all his wee/poo all day til bedtime nappy for 3 days. On day 4 (Easter Monday) gave up and went back to nappies. A week later (another Bank Hol) he said "pants today" and has been dry ever since. Nappies at night still, but almost always dry in the morning.

If your DD knows that pants is an option, I'd wait until she asks.

emmaloupolman Sun 29-May-11 18:34:42

I started with my 2 year 5 month old on wednesday and so far so good had a little accident at a party yesterday and 2nite he is going to bed with no nappy on as he keeps waking up dry

cheeseycharlie Mon 30-May-11 08:17:40

shouty day 2 was much better, got 8 am and 11.30 am weed in potty. She woke from lunch nap with dry nappy but then held it for ages. An accident at 5 pm and a wee on the big loo at about 6.30

No pooh all day despite eating lentils at lunch time...

Also when she has had accicent she doesn't seem to know the accident is happening. It's like she can't feel it.

I'm going to see how day 3 goes today but really I'm thinking follow advice of others on here, treat this weekend as a learning experience for her, put her back in nappies, and basically wait until she asks for pants and loo at some time in future. Cannot be doing with regression while moving house and having baby!!

How did your day 1 go shouty?

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Mon 30-May-11 08:22:56

Well, not to confuse you if you've decided that, but you're describing pretty much how day 1 and 2 went for us - dd the same age - and by day 3 she had made huge progress. We had to put her back in nappies on day 4 - 6 because of daycare/travel commitments, so it definitely wasn't a real 'bootcamp' but she kept making progress during the times when the nappy was off, and by the end of the week she had it down pat. Never looked back.

We didn't do any Gina thing, or anything prescribed, just left her nappy off and bought her some Special Underpants, and it worked fine. If you're going to be discouraged after 1 day, perhaps you're better off waiting till she trains herself (that's not a criticism, nothing wrong with doing it either way, it's just what you're comfortable with) but nothing that you've said makes me infer that she's not ready. If it was going to be perfect in 2 days, the 'experts' would be selling Two Day Bootcamp, wouldn't they?

emmaloupolman Mon 30-May-11 09:44:10

Well i put lo 2 bed in pants and slept 7.30pm till 8am and no accidents smile

cheeseycharlie Mon 30-May-11 12:34:29

I'm still undecided and thx for all the v helpful points of view. Day 3 big progress in that she did a pooh on the loo this morning. But still not convince she is fully ready tho bcos later in the morning she knew she needed to go and was on and off the loo for 20 mins but ended up wetting herself when right next to loo, it's like she can hold it but cannot control the release and doesnt properly know when it's happening

Feeling a bit glum. Need to work out if going to work tmrw or staying home to persevere...

notnowbernard Mon 30-May-11 12:35:28

Too much hassle

Cut yourself some slack

Bootcamp recruit I ain't grin

cheeseycharlie Mon 30-May-11 14:42:20

NotnowB you are right. Couple more accidents when right by potty and she did not seem to know they were coming. She just ain't ready is she. Probably she'll ask to go into pants at some inopportune moment during house move and arrival of DC2 but as with much of this parenting lark nothing ever happens just as you plan it, best to learn to roll with it!
Cheers all
Shouty I hope all going ok for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now