Talk

Advanced search

I find potty training sooo frustrating, should i give up?

(10 Posts)
mendipgirl Sat 28-May-11 15:49:57

DD1 (2.6) has showed all the signs so we started yesterday. Wee in her pants at 9.15 and we were regularly putting her on the loo or potty after that and she wanted to do (I could tell it was hurting her not too) until eventually she gave in and went on the loo at 2.30...hooray. But then that's been it. She did a wee and then a poo in her pants at about 5ish and that was it. Today she has done 3 wees and 2 poos all in her pants, but no accidents when we are out of the house (were out for 2 hours this morning) so I think the long gaps between going mean she has the control, but just doesn't want to go on the loo/potty.

She is a very cautious girl, will always watch other children before ages before she gets involved or tries something so think this may explain her reluctance. So should I give up and go back to nappies or persevere and realistically how long does it take for them to get it???

gillybean2 Sat 28-May-11 15:54:33

If they're ready it will take no time at all.
You do need to remind and look for the signs that she needs a wee and expect accidents.
WHo decided it was time to potty train? I'm guessing you...?

I think it may be a bit early for her, especialy if it's frustraing you. She's not doing on purpose to annoy you after all! If she can't recognise the need to go for a poo yet then I don't think she's ready tbh.

Vicky08 Sat 28-May-11 16:03:39

I began and it was a disaster so after only two days gave up. 3 weeks later I decided to try again because I had some time off work and it was a success, she was fully potty trained in 3 days. She's probably on the brink of being ready but just needs a little more time to get used to it all. When I tried for the first time my DD was also 2.6 and we succeeded when she turned 2.7.
HTH

Buda Sat 28-May-11 16:05:21

Sounds like she is not quite ready. Leave if for a month or so and maybe try again.

TheProvincialLady Sat 28-May-11 16:09:44

Are you giving plenty of water? I find that it is easier if they drink loads (which sounds counter-intuitive I know), they get more practice and it seems to make the wee come out if they are sitting on the potty and having a drink at the same timegrin I am potty training DS2 (2.5) at the moment - day 4 - and this definitely helps us. As does plenty of praise and a chocolate button administered for every successful effort.

You need plenty of patience and expect accidents. She will get it in time but if you think she is getting too stressed (or you are!) then just leave it for another few weeks/months. There's no great rush.

mendipgirl Sat 28-May-11 16:15:20

Good tip re the drink on the potty, I'll try that! I might give it a try until the end of the weekend and if no improvement wait another month. I'm trying not to let her see my frustration...she says after an accident, "never mind, try again!".

tigercametotea Sat 28-May-11 16:24:41

The best time to try potty training is in the warmer months. If she shows signs of readiness, then let her go without a nappy/walk around bare-bottomed for as long as possible during her waking hours. They will make accidents in the beginning, its normal, all part of the potty training. But you show them what the toilet's for so they know. Some children just have a fear of using the toilet because the "hole" in the toilet seems too big and they think they will fall in it - my DCs, specifically my 2 younger ones, are like that - in that case you can try a potty. If the weather's a bit chilly, baby legwarmers are great for keeping them warmer. All said, if you tried and she just doesn't seem to be responding well to it, it might just be a case of wait a while before reintroducing potty training. My DS is nearly 3, we tried potty-training last year (felt a bit pressured by the HV who wasn't pleased that we hadn't potty-trained him yet, when he was 2!). Well he just simply wasn't ready. Accident after accident, even though we've showed him what the potty was for. So we put it on hold. About 6 weeks ago, we tried again with him. He picked it up very quickly. Now he never needs a nappy anymore except for the night time whilst asleep - even then, most times his nappy is completely dry and unused in the morning when he wakes. I potty-trained my other DCs between the ages of 3 and 3.5, and they both got the hang of it within a few weeks. All I'd say is that the later you start the easier it will be, but I always find it annoying how other people can be, especially the older generation, who always say we are not potty-training early enough.

mendipgirl Sat 28-May-11 16:27:33

i know what you mean re the older generation, they keep telling me already that we've left it really late so it should be really easy!!

mendipgirl Sat 28-May-11 17:11:42

TheProvincialLady - just gave her a drink whilst she was on the potty and it worked, first wee of the day on the potty! She had no idea though, it was only when I said your doing a wee that she looked down and said yes...so maybe she isn't ready confused?

TheProvincialLady Sat 28-May-11 18:47:21

Aha so my patented plan doesn't just work on my own DC - might write a book and make my fortune! I have to say, if your DD wasn't aware she was having a wee then yes, you are wasting your time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now