Talk

Advanced search

Crying when weeing on the potty

(6 Posts)
1stMrsF Sat 28-May-11 13:57:10

Help, I was expecting a lot of possible reactions but not this one!

I'm on day one of potty training twin girls 2.1 who are clearly ready as by the second wee of the day they were both telling me they needed to use the potty even if they didn't quite make it on time.

However, each time DT2 has wee'd she's jumped up after a tiny drop, so I've persuaded her with hugs/stories/singing to stay sitting down and then when she's properly let go and done a full wee she's cried while doing it. Afterwards she seems really pleased with herself and accepted praise. She's also cried a lot when she's had an accident.

DT1 managed 2 tiny wees in the potty this morning and then clearly needed a wee but wouldn't sit on the potty - kept crying and saying 'No!' Eventually of course she wet herself on the floor and then got terribly upset about it.

They are asleep now, DT1 I took up for her nap early, as she just seemed knackered - emotionally exhuasted?

Is this a sometimes normal reaction? Will it pass? Should I keep going? sad

HauntedLittleLunatic Sat 28-May-11 13:59:51

Is she crying because she is in pain perhaps? Maybe from a uti?

Madlizzy Sat 28-May-11 14:01:10

Sounds like she's finding it difficult emotionally. Sometimes kids are physically ready before they are emotionally. Even just leaving them another week, with potties around should they choose to use them without being asked, would be beneficial. You'll probably find that once one of them does it, the other will want to, but better! My boys trained themselves this way.

MadamDeathstare Sat 28-May-11 14:03:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

1stMrsF Sun 29-May-11 09:39:17

I did think about a UTI but she has wee'd in nappy after nap without a problem.

I asked them if they'd like to use the potty in the afternoon and they agreed happily. DTD2 continued to ask when she needed it and is still in pants this morning, but DTD1 asked for her nappy back the first time she needed a wee today so I've put her in nappies and I'll wait for her to ask if she wants to. All going well with DTD2 though who is no longer crying - I think it was just that it was new and unfamiliar to start with.

It may be a blessing - it will be easier to focus on one at a time and as they often want to do what the other one does, DTD1 may follow soon enough anyway.

1stMrsF Sun 29-May-11 09:40:12

Sorry, meant also to say, Thank you!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: