Talk

Advanced search

for those of you who did early potty training or EC, what signs do i look for?

(10 Posts)
muslimah28 Wed 18-May-11 13:52:29

hello

ive got ds to be comfortable sitting on the loo now with a seat (we're going straight to loo, no potty as all my nieces and nephews were done this way and is much easier but that's another thread). so now i want to try putting them there when he may need to wee. how do i know when that is though? i know there's books on this but am hoping someone can give me the whistlestop guide smile

thanks

muslimah28 Wed 18-May-11 13:52:48

he's 12mo btw

Flippingebay Wed 18-May-11 13:56:19

My DD was about 18 months and she'd actually tell me when she was having a wee or a poo in her nappy and get very irritated wearing a dirty nappy so we knew if was time to potty train.

We tried using the 50/50 approach, we'd put her in nappies whilst we were out and about, in the car etc then take it off her whilst we were in the house but found that really didn't work. She was lazy and simply wouldn't use the potty/loo and just make a mess.

So we decided to just throw the nappies away grin I'm sure I'm going to get flamed by this, but we used chocolate buttons to bribe her, everytime she used the loo she'd get a couple of chocolate buttons. We had a couple of accidents in the first week then it was plain sailing and she was also dry from about 2 weeks after we started potty training her at night too.

muslimah28 Wed 18-May-11 17:46:31

ds doesn't actually mind a wet nappy.... makes things easier when you don't have to change a nappy immediately smile

he isn't able to tell me when he needs to wee verbally so i need to know the other signs or things to look for.

well done for your story though.

muslimah28 Thu 19-May-11 13:35:49

bump

whitechocolatebuttons Thu 19-May-11 13:45:34

i've been looking for signs as i am interested in EC, my boy is 16 wks and definitely goes still and quiet when he is ready to wee. I put him on his waterproof changing mat and just watch his behaviour. Not sure i'm ready for him to be toilet trained yet though, its nice to be so aware of his little ways!

PaisleyLeaf Thu 19-May-11 13:51:27

I started sitting DD on a potty from when she was weaning and I could tell (by that face) when she was doing a poo.
Some time later, by coincidence, a wee would occasionally happen on the potty too. And I'd give her a lot of praise for weeing in the potty.
Gradually she'd ask (we did the signing thing), and gradually she was keeping her nappies clean and dry so I let her keep them off.
We were using washables: quite bulky, so I think she was glad to see the back of them.

muslimah28 Thu 19-May-11 18:49:57

hmm maybe i just need to start experimenting then!

i can definitely tell the poos PaisleyLeaf so i know exactly the face you mean!! but ds hates pooing and used to get quite constipated and distressed, so i'm not sure whether to start with the poos just yet.

whitechocolatebuttons i don't think i was ready at that age either lol! but now ds is 12mo, i think we can start to slowly work on it- hopefully!

malachysmum Thu 26-May-11 22:23:27

Am reading Diaper Free Baby and DS is 10 months, watching thread with interest, laminate floors could be on stand by.

maygirl Mon 06-Jun-11 14:11:44

Hi, he will probably need to wee immediately after waking from a sleep, so start taking him then. Check nappy every so often, and if its been dry for a long time, then will probably be good to go too!

If he's nappy free, little boys willys go a bit 'puffy' just before a wee, well my DS's did!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: