Talk

Advanced search

still using pull ups at night for 4yr old

(19 Posts)
sunface Tue 17-May-11 11:08:07

HELP!!!! my DD has been toilet trained for over a year now nad has just turned 4, but we still have to put on pull up pants every night and they are wet every morning. How do we stop this?? Do we wake her during the night and take her to the toilet? Leave a potty in her room? Any advice or tips would be great! Thank you!

cheekeymonkey Tue 17-May-11 12:07:31

I am in exactly same position, will watch this thread with interest.
Have tried sticker chart and when she manages 3 dry nights she doesn't have to wear pull-ups but haven't managed to get more than a weeks success out of this.

Indith Tue 17-May-11 12:16:57

If she is doing lots of wee at night then she just isn't ready. Being dry at night is a hormone production thing and can happen any time between around 2 and 7, there is no need to worry at all.

My 4 year old wees for England at night, his nappy feels like it has been filled with bricks in the morning. My 2 year old is often dry in the morning if I lift her before I go to bed (though not quite consistant enough for me to brave going nappy free!). They are all different.

cheekeymonkey Tue 17-May-11 12:22:56

I did not know that about the hormone thing Indith, thank you.

<breathes sigh of relief>

NickyNackyNooNoo Tue 17-May-11 12:30:26

I truly wouldn't worry my two DS's were daytime trained by 3 but I kept them in pull ups at night. My eldest stayed in them til he was about 4.5 and has remained dry ever since (only 1 hicup on holiday but he was really poorly & change of surroungdings etc). My nearly 5 year old has only just come out of pull ups at night.

I don't agree with lifting, don't have time to be changing beds all the time and didn't want a big pressure on them to be dry so I just took a chill pill and waiting till I had dry pull ups.

I think if I was you just cut back on the drinks and reassess when she is 5 smile. But don't make it an issue......

pinkmagic1 Tue 17-May-11 12:42:21

I personally think you should leave the pull up off one night and just see what happens. Mine both came out of night nappies at around 3, not because they woke up with dry nappies, far from it, but because there were a couple of occasions I forgot to put them on and they woke up dry. I think in a lot of cases (not all) the child is maybe ready but the security of a night nappy, especially a modern disposable that soaks up the wee imediately makes them less inclined to get up and use the loo in the night.

sunface Wed 18-May-11 13:31:06

thanks so much everyone, i didn't realise it was a hormone thing either. We have tried leaving it off at nights, but she just wakes up really wet sad We'll keep persevering....

feetheart Wed 18-May-11 13:39:40

My DS is 5.6 and not dry yet so don't panic.
I've been happy to leave it until he's ready but DH was muttering quietly hmm
DS decided about 4 weeks ago that he didn't want to wear pull-ups any more so we went with it - we have had about 6-7 dry nights since so not great.
I'm actually quite relieved that we are off camping for 10 days this w/e and he knows he will be in 'camping pants' for the duration.
Will see what he wants to do after the holiday but washing ALL the bedding every day is TEDIOUS.

Poledra Wed 18-May-11 13:47:52

Just a voice to add that DD1 was dry during the day at just over 2, and did not manage to get reliably dry at night till she was between 5 and 6. She's 7 now, cannot remember the last time she wet the bed. DD2 (2 yrs younger) was dry at night almost at the same time as DD1. Nearly 3-yo DD3 is almost ready to go nappy-free at night now too.

<shrugs> Don't fret about it, it'll come when they're ready.

suzikettles Wed 18-May-11 13:53:48

Ds is 4.6 and still in pull-ups at night. We try every few weeks or so without as ds is quite keen to go without a nappy but he's invariably soaked at least twice during the night and then gets anxious (gets up to take himself to the toilet umpteen times before falling asleep with no improvement in night dryness), so we go back to pullups for another few weeks.

It'll come in time. We're also trying to make sure ds drinks plenty during the day as apparently it's also important to make sure their bladder is used to, and able to, hold a decent capacity of wee to last over night although the hormone reduces the amount of wee produced.

Have tried lifting to no avail and as ds doesn't go to sleep that early he shouldn't be needing lifted anyway.

This time last year I felt that ds would never be reliably dry during the day so I'm really not too bothered about nighttime dryness at the moment.

AlaskaHQ Thu 19-May-11 09:03:03

My DS is 4.8 and still uses a nighttime nappy which is wet every morning.

Watching this thread with interest as DH is getting quite concerned about why DS is still not out of nappies at night, and I am not sure if I should be concerned too, or lets just wait another year or so.

Watching with interest. Interesting about the hormones thing.

MollysChamber Thu 19-May-11 09:07:18

Completely normal to still need night time nappies at 4 (and up until the age of six I believe). Really no point in stressing. It will happen in its own time. You can't potty train for night time. It's a natural process that will happen in it's own time.

shesparkles Thu 19-May-11 09:13:20

My ds still needed pullups at 7, so don't worry, they do get there (eventually sometimes!)

BrigitBigKnickers Thu 19-May-11 09:17:23

25% of five year olds are not dry at night. Most parents don't talk about it. The ones you hear about are the braggy mums who claim their little ones who were potty trained at one and dry at night by two... hmm

DD2 was still in pull ups at night at 6. Fairly dry from then on but still had the odd accident until about 9.

A hormone that slows down urine production when asleep has to kick in before being dry at night is possible.

Lifting will not speed this up.

Chill out- she will get there when she is ready.

HSMM Thu 19-May-11 09:28:02

My DD came out of night time nappies when she told me she didn't need them any more. I think she was 4 or 5? We have had about 2 wet beds over the years.

cheekeymonkey Thu 19-May-11 12:54:34

Brigit, you are very reassuring and quite right about the braggy parents!
I have even experienced bragging about my DN which I clearly remember not to be factual!

Wish people would remember it's not a competition!

Thank you for explaning the hormone thing, I was wondering how that worked.

HooverTheHamaBeads Mon 23-May-11 21:57:16

DD2 is 4.5 and still in pull-ups. They are sometimes soaking and really full, other times less full but always wet.

DD1 was dry at night at 3.5 just said one day 'I'm not wearing a nappy tonight' and that was that.

DD2 starts school in Sep and I think there's a good chance she'll still be wet at night but I'm trying not to worry about it too much.

5318008 Fri 27-May-11 09:46:43

yy it's a hormone thing, the child has no control over when their body matures enough to produce it

things you can do in the meantime:
increase daytime drinks to stretch the bladder and thus increase holding capacity (milk and water are best) - if a school age child get teacher onside to remind them to drink throughout the day

avoid red/brown drinks as they can irritate the bladder

wee/teeth/wee at bed time (double-voiding)

don't lift as it reinforces the weeing-asleep

Maternelle Fri 27-May-11 18:16:40

DD who is 4.4 was dry at nights for months with the odd accident, but it's gone from bad to worse and I have put her in pull-ups again. I don't understand how she could be dry for so long and go back to needing pull-ups. Has anybody else been there?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: