Talk

Advanced search

Is this a good idea or will I mentally scar him for life?!

(4 Posts)
elseIlltellyourfather Thu 06-Jan-11 14:15:15

DS, 2.9 has been dry for about 7 months but will not poo in potty/loo - neversin his pants but he asks for a nappy or holds it in. He only wees in the loo, and always wants to stand. He also stands to poo in his nappy so think this may be part of the problem. Anyway, I am thinking about buying him the best toy he could dream of so he can see it is avalable, and letting him have it only when he does a poo in potty/loo (He is very able to understand this concept btw). Is this cruel if he is just not ready though, and what can I do to help him? Have read the books etc, tried food bribery but he is very keen to not be pressured into it

TheUnmentioned Thu 06-Jan-11 14:18:24

well i wouldnt do that tbh but i would, and did, use a reward chart with small prizes - kinder eggs, wee cars etc, stuff off ebay. worked a tret but ds was older.

Sopster Thu 06-Jan-11 14:42:14

Further to the previous comment I have recently trained my little boy using a reward chart. Slightly different as I used it from Day 1 to help get him dry and it worked really well. I would give him a sticker for every 'performance' on the potty and then he got a treat every time he got 10 stickers. Anything from a small toy/book to a couple of extra episodes of Peppa (his favorite!) or an extra bedtime story. You could ask your litle boy to choose the rewards with you? I'm sure a similar approach could work with your little boy for each time he poos on the potty. My chart was called a My Big Star Chart from EncourageAndPraise.co.uk. I have a friend who had the exact same problem as you but he did eventually grow out of it at about 3 and a half so don't despair!

elseIlltellyourfather Thu 06-Jan-11 15:27:59

thanks you two, I will try a reward chart as that is a much more structured way to 'train' him than I have been doing. Anyone else?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: