Talk

Advanced search

Argh help, quick! DS decided to go to bed with no nappy on tonight, talk me through this first night...!?

(13 Posts)
TheVeryLazyLadybird Mon 13-Dec-10 19:57:11

DS (3.4) has point blank refused to entertain the idea of bed with no nappy up until now.
Tonight I brought a nappy down at bedtime and he said 'No Mummy, I'm not wearing that tonight.'
Thought he'd change his mind before he went to sleep but he hasn't! He's now asleep with no nappy on!

How do I get through tonight?
Can anyone give me tips on night time training?
Totally wasn't expecting this! grin

TheVeryLazyLadybird Mon 13-Dec-10 20:17:05

Anyone....?

notnowbernard Mon 13-Dec-10 20:24:59

Wait and see if he makes it through the night without wetting, or if he is able to wake for a wee himself

If he wets the bed, might be a sign he is not quite ready yet

But I just leave him tonight

Have his nappies been wet every morning so far?

TheVeryLazyLadybird Mon 13-Dec-10 20:32:28

Yep, every morning his nappy is wet... I don't think he's ready but I couldn't really say no to him when he was so determined.

Do you wake them for a wee or leave them?
He had a small cup of milk before bed and also went for a wee by himself before going to bed.

Its lovely to see him being so independent but it does put me on edge a bit!
Where's my baby gone!? grin

I would also wait to see how he gets on tonight. He might surprise you - DD2 went from having wet nappies almost every night to deciding she didn't need nappies any more and rarely having accidents. DS was the same (although I've put him back in nappies for now as he started wetting the bed again a month or two later and I was getting fed up with all the washing!).

We've always lifted them when we've gone to bed; we stopped doing so with DD1 quite a while ago, but it definitely helps with DD2. Mind you, it's been a while since we haven't so we should probably try leaving her to see if she really needs to be lifted still.

Good luck - they grow up so fast, don't they? grin

TheVeryLazyLadybird Mon 13-Dec-10 21:40:53

He took to pants during the day really quickly, 3 days and he'd cracked it.
Just told him there were no nappies left one morning and he didn't ask questions!
But the night time bit... I haven't a clue!

Think I'll put him on the toilet about 11, then cross my fingers and hope for the best! confused

Thanks!

dietcokesholidaysarecoming Mon 13-Dec-10 21:43:18

We have stopped ds milk and it's resulted in dry nappies. Drink at teatime is last one.

notnowbernard Mon 13-Dec-10 21:44:56

Night time dryness completely different ball gameto daytime

Night time is hormonal - their body must produce a certain hormone that reduces production of urine at night - if it doesn't, they'll have no control over wetting

Hormone can kick in between age 1-7

No point 'lifting' to wee, you are essentially toiletting them, not teaching them

notnowbernard Mon 13-Dec-10 21:46:50

Other tips: (dd has been under eneurisis clinic)

Avoid dark coloured drinks
No drink 1hr before bed
Encourage loads of drinking in the day (6-8 cups) to get bladder working efficiently and for them to 'wake to wee'
Wee-teeth-wee

TheVeryLazyLadybird Mon 13-Dec-10 22:05:41

Just been to check on him, he's wet and still asleep hmm
Poor little fella. Worth a try.

I didn't realise about night time = hormonal. How interesting.
So basically, if his nappies are still wet its not worth trying?

Thanks so much! I love Mumsnet! grin

MistletoeNPresents Mon 13-Dec-10 22:48:22

Well at least it didn't / doesn't bother him Ladybird so only 1 wet set tomorrow.

TheVeryLazyLadybird Mon 13-Dec-10 22:57:14

He insisted on going to bed with his dressing gown (or dressing down grin) on so when I felt to see if he was dry I couldn't work out if he was wet or really sweaty! grin Then I put my hand on the big soggy patch...

Just to clarify... I did change him! My last post reads like I've left him in it, I promise I didn't! blush

notnowbernard Tue 14-Dec-10 20:11:23

I would say if his nappies are regularly wet in the morning and he doesn't wake up for a wee or realise he's wet, then it's not worth the bother yet smile

And he's still young for night-time dryness

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now