Talk

Advanced search

names for 'private parts'

(28 Posts)
twinterror Fri 03-Dec-10 19:26:10

my dd has started showing an interest in her own privates, I have never given these a specific name (apols if I am coming across as a prude) - what do you call them in your house? I don't want her shouting out 'I've got a vagina' at nursery/shops etc (she already talks a lot about breasts very loudly in the most inappropriate circs).

groak Fri 03-Dec-10 19:38:59

Twinkle for girls, tails for boys grin

groak Fri 03-Dec-10 19:39:51

Just wish my dd would stop talking about my 'boobers' in the changing rooms at swimming lessons!!

fairimum Sat 04-Dec-10 17:13:49

just 'girl bits' or 'bits' and willy

nannynobblystockingnobs Sat 04-Dec-10 17:17:24

I have taught DD1(9) all the proper names etc but shorthand is always 'bits' DD2(just 4) we are still on Bits but haven't got to proper names yet.

MickyLee Sat 04-Dec-10 17:22:38

My DD calls hers a Tinkle. When DS came along I followed by calling his a Winkle grin

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 04-Dec-10 17:24:30

Probably a bit old fashioned and Northern but DDs are her Tuppence.

MickyLee Sat 04-Dec-10 17:28:55

I was brought up calling it a tuppence, but It always felt very wrong watching Mary Poppins and when my Nan called me Tuppence. I am Northern!

greentig3r Sat 04-Dec-10 17:29:24

front bottom?

WingDad Sat 04-Dec-10 17:34:47

We've only had boys so just went for the old classic 'willy'.

twinterror Sat 04-Dec-10 19:11:58

thanks everyone, I like twinkle but am thinking twinkle twinkle little star may never seem the same again..

woollyjo Sat 04-Dec-10 19:17:51

Its a fanny in our house. We are pretty matter-of-fact about things she knows the proper names too (DD1 is 4).

Timbachick Sat 04-Dec-10 19:23:14

It's always been vagina and penis in our house - although my DS had a problem with vagina and called it a 'china' grin

Never caused any problems, but then, like woolly, we are pretty matter of fact in our house.

An old friend taught her DD's the names 'pansy' for vagina and 'tassel' for penis. Made me grin every time. smile

Littlefish Sat 04-Dec-10 19:35:06

Just call it by the proper names. Ie. Vulva/vagina/penis.

I cdan't bear all these cutesy names.

Trebuchet Sat 04-Dec-10 19:38:44

euphamisms make my teeth itch. Its vagina and penis in our house. you wouldn't call your elbow a looloo or your tongue a fairy... I think it tells them its something shameful/embarrassing if you give it a secret name

Meglet Sat 04-Dec-10 19:41:16

I've tried to cover both sets of names.

Both the DC's (4yo DS and 2yo DD) know that the proper names are penis / vagina. I've said that's what doctors call them and we try to use them fairly regularly.

But seeing as DS is insistent on using the word 'willy' as well I came up with 'binky' for DD.

We were in the supermarket the other week, DS was yelling 'willy' and DD was yelling 'vagina' hmm.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 05-Dec-10 10:12:23

There was a discussion about this on Woman's Hour early in the year, I think someone had written a book about all the names we call them.

Timba Fine China was one of the names grin. Sparkly Bits was a bit of an hmm one too grin

onimolap Sun 05-Dec-10 10:21:33

I've made sure the DCs know the proper names, but we use nn for day to day use. For a boy it's easy, as "willy" is pretty much universal; never found a satisfactory equivalent for a girl, so have to fall back on "bits".

Mooshie Tue 07-Dec-10 13:17:22

My girls have a Mini my boys have a tooloo.

paddyclamp Thu 23-Dec-10 18:21:24

DS has a willy, DD has a fanny!

faeriefruitcake Thu 30-Dec-10 21:58:11

Just call them by their proper names.

Nothing sadder than hearing grown ups talk about their fuffs, or willy's or lady garden's.

stoppinchingthedummy Sun 02-Jan-11 20:18:37

By the real names- i dont think i want to hear my daughter (2)say vagina ,foofy in our house and willy for ds ....

blueberryboybaitonSafari Sun 02-Jan-11 20:21:51

DD(2) knows the real names but calls them a winkle for girls and a willy (occasionally williamhmm) for boys.

onimolap Sun 02-Jan-11 20:22:14

faeriefruitcake: genuinely wondering - have you also taught your children to say urinate and defecate, or do they wee and poo?

winnybella Sun 02-Jan-11 20:26:51

I wonder why so many posters say their kids know proper names ie penis and vagina.

Vagina? I would imagine children usually are interested in the outside bits and the name for that is 'vulva'. Not vagina.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: