Talk

Advanced search

Dumb Question

(7 Posts)
Thefairiesmademedoit Fri 03-Dec-10 11:42:10

Apologies if this is a really dumb question. I'm working with DS2 on potty training. It's been a bit of an uphill slog, to put it politely, but we're getting there. The problem is that DS doesn't seem to notice when he is wet in pull-ups. He wears his pants in the house, and pullups when we are out and about.

I'm struggling to know if I should be simply saying that from now on he only wears pants (except at night), or whether there is some sort of reusable nappy product that acts like disposable pullups but will let him feel when he is wet for when we are out and about. Sort of pant but less leaky.

To be honest, part of me is thinking that I need to bite the bullet and just have him in pants all the time and deal with the cleanup until he gets it. confused

Any opinions or suggestions would be gratefully received. smile

ragged Fri 03-Dec-10 12:39:00

You could get some cloth pull-ups.
Or extra thick pants (we have some, American product).
But I think it makes sense to go with just ordinary pants and carry lots of spares with you, plan to avoid anywhere that you really couldn't stomach him leaving a small puddle of wee.

noeyedear Fri 03-Dec-10 12:43:47

I did this too. It takes ages with nappy pants. My DS didn't notice the wetness in them at all. I eventually did have to bite the bullet and just put him in pants all the time. He did do a few wees in shops etc. but it really was going on forever! I think if you go with the nappy pants you have to pretend they are real pants and still put them on the toilet every 30 minutes, or whatever you are doing. I did touch the nappy pants and they're not that wet, even when they are soaked.

BertieBotts Fri 03-Dec-10 12:46:02

Are they actually training pull ups or just normal pull ups? Because normal ones are the same as ordinary nappies (they're just for convenience when toddlers refuse to lie down really).

Yes you can get cloth training pants - look at any cloth nappy website or shop, they should have a few.

Poogles Fri 03-Dec-10 12:56:32

Can't remember the exact name - something like tot bots or hot bots (just remember the 'bots' bit!) - which are terry towelling pants with a plastic liner in between the layers of cloth. They soak up a bit more than ordinary pants but the child feels wet like in pants. They worked a treat with DS. He would sometimes 'start' and then realise he was wearing pants, stop & use the potty. We also used them at nap times as once he was out of nappies during the day he wouldn't go back!

BornToFolk Fri 03-Dec-10 13:01:26

I used training pants with DS. I got them as part of the Cotton Bottoms birth to potty kit. They are somewhere between a nappy and pants as they pull up but are still quite padded. Nowhere near as absorbant as a nappy though so they basically just slow down an accident!
I would put them on over DS's normal pants and only used them on the bus on the to nursery.
Mothercare stock training pants that looked similar.

I think you do need to bite the bullet and go for pants full time.

Yorky Fri 03-Dec-10 13:15:31

Bright bots www.teamlollipop.co.uk/shop/bright-bots-trainer-pa nts-4pack-1554-0.html do a training pant type things - cloth pant but more padded so if you need to run down a corridor at toddler group it gives you a chance. I think close parent do ome as well. DS wears them at night

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now