Talk

Advanced search

is she ready and how do I do it?

(14 Posts)
kingbeat23 Tue 23-Nov-10 12:59:41

Ok, so, DD is 19.5 mo and I think she may be ready for toilet training, but I'm not sure.

Told me that she wants to do a poo but when we got there she had already done one in her nappy. She didn't want to put her nappy back on and wanted to use the toilet paper and not the wet wipes. She has been telling me that she has done a poo for a while (poo is also wee here too) but tells me after she has done it and not before.

She has done a few poos on the toilet but I think that was more luck than judgement tbh.

Is she ready for toilet training or should I wait?

How do you toilet train?

She was at my mums at the weekend and was interested in sitting on the potty, but didn't do anything and also is not dry at nights at the moment. I sometimes have to change her before I go to bed as she is wet through and sodden. She doesn't wake up at this point and if I don't change her, then more often than not she wakes at around 4 or 5 to be changed as she is wet. Hardly ever soiled apart from Saturday night.

Any advice greatfully recieved.

putthekettleon Tue 23-Nov-10 13:34:20

sounds like she is getting ready for it - one of the first signs is telling you when they've done a poo. Why not just start putting her on the potty at home sometimes and see if she does anything?

We had a potty from around 20 months and DD would always sit on it after her bath and occasionally do something. We've only just started potty training properly now though (she is 2.7) mainly as DD2 being born kind of got in the way! To be honest if I were you I would wait a bit before going for it properly, mainly because it is a right PITA and now is not the ideal time of year.

I wouldn't worry about being dry at night though, DD still has a nappy at night and it is wet, I think the norm is to wait til they are dry during the day before tackling the nights.

kingbeat23 Tue 23-Nov-10 13:49:14

Thanks for replying, but <<think emoticon>> you mean by dry during the days as in wees on the loo/potty right?

kingbeat23 Tue 23-Nov-10 13:49:44

that's thick btw!

putthekettleon Tue 23-Nov-10 14:02:18

oops, yes sorry that probably wasn't very clear, I meant wait til they are fully potty trained during the day before putting them to bed without a nappy.

kingbeat23 Tue 23-Nov-10 14:17:48

aaahhhh! ok, hm, all helpful. I had feeling that I was rushing things anyway but I guess we are moving forward in the right direction. I'm sure she'll let me know, I'll just have to listen to her more.

Pros and cons for the potty? I know current thoughts go with using the toilet and bypassing the potty all together.

Thanks btw, I need input as my Mums ideas are outdated (gawd love 'er!) and my DSis is having troubles of her own re toilet training so any advice is greatfully recieved.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Wed 24-Nov-10 07:15:00

kingbeat i haven't been down the conventional pt route (we're doing elimination communication with ds since 3m. He's 9m now. )

I thought i'd put my penniesworth in re potty and toilet. Generally ds will happily use the loo or a potty (potty downstairs, loo if upstairs and out) though at the moment he's trying to walk and sees the potty mainly as a good launch pad for this hmm grin . So we are finding that taking him upstairs to the loo is more successfull as he's less distracted. We don't have another dc so can do this quite happily now that his wee's are quite far apart. As people used to pt (or ec) younger babies i think potties are a relic of this maybe? With an older child it surely isn't too onerous to take them every hour/hour and half to the loo.

I would think that if you have more than one dc having a potty downstairs would be usefull...? Otherwise i'd be tempted to go straight for the loo...if you do end up using a potty you're in no worse position but you might just save yourself the bother (and save your dd the bother of getting used to both). Seeing you use the loo will probaly help too...although of course you could demo a potty too. wink

Sorry...not that helpfull but general musings on the potty/loo thing...

kingbeat23 Wed 24-Nov-10 19:37:34

now that would be an interesting site re the testing potty! grin

Elimination communication sounds interesting, what's that?

she is indicating that she wants to go to the toilet at the moment, but it's AFTER she has been and not before, I'm not sure how to do it the other way around.

She is an only, so no other dc to distract and as we live in a flat I guess I can just take her there every hour or so and see how we get on.

On the other hand she has started another bout of teething and we are having teething poos again...oh fun and joy! maybe it isn't the right time to start? hmm

B52s Thu 25-Nov-10 11:56:11

Hi kingbeat

I'm probably the last person to ask as I'm just lazy. My DS1 was 'trained' (I use the term loosely) this summer. We had potties, but he never sat on one. Went straight to weeing, standing up, in the toilet. He was 3.6. I still put him in nappies for his naps and overnight, as he saves his poos for those, and hasn't had a successful one on the toilet.

DS2 is 19 months, can't even talk yet so can't tell me when he's done/needs a poo. I'll probably just leave him to it as well.
One upside of being lazy is we rarely get accidents, maybe one a month? Whereas friends who trained theirs from 24 months have accidents every day, and now most weeks too.

Just don't stress about the whole thing, it'll happen when it does. Don't do it too early or you'll be washing all the time.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Thu 25-Nov-10 19:09:40

elimination communication

Upon waking is a good time to start. Most lo's don't wee while actually asleep so need to when they get up.

Then try an hour later...if the nappies already wet try sooner next time..or later if they don't need to go.

maybe not with teethy poo though as you say! smile

bronze Sat 27-Nov-10 17:38:43

Sorry Moonface , who are you? I've not been mning of late. Have you found EC ok? I looked at it but decided that it would stress me too much and dh wouldn't go for it anyway.

Whats everyone getting their toddlers? I can't think of anythign to get the boy who has three older siblings.

wekingbeat23oforientare Sat 27-Nov-10 20:39:40

I bought the happyland farm set on the basis of the thread that was going about on here....and I got got it SANS PIG!

complained and they are out of stock of replacement pigs, such is the demand for them apparently, have to keep emailing them for it!

grin

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Sun 28-Nov-10 11:37:35

Hi bronze,

EC is great!

I think the thing is you do it as suits you and your life. You don't have to do without nappies, just potty when changing if that's what you want to do.

If it gets stressfull just leave it for a while

It shouldn't make your life harder (unless youu let it wink )

SHame your dh wasn't up for it. I'm lucky that dh is totally in to it...often catching more than me. smile

bronze Sun 28-Nov-10 22:06:02

Not too worried now. 3 are out of nappies and number 4 lets me know already so I think he will be relatively easy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now