Talk

Advanced search

Boy dry at night within a week...

(12 Posts)
Cheeseismyweakness Wed 03-Nov-10 20:04:53

I have just started potty training my 32 month old DS; admittedly he's been ready for a while but with a new baby 4 months ago and a complicated pregnancy, we'd delayed it somewhat.
However, he's been in pants for almost 2 weeks and is doing well bar a few accidents along the way but overall pretty good.
Suprisingly to us, he is dry at night already-and waking early to go for a wee in the potty. Up until now his nighttime nappies were usually soaking by morning.
This am he had an accident cos he couldn't get the nappy off in time to use the potty.
All the books say keep a nappy on for at least 3 months at night... I'm tempted to take it off and see if he manages better without struggling to get the nappy off.
Anyone out there have a similar experience?...

strongblackcoffee Wed 03-Nov-10 20:08:11

My DS1 was dry at night very soon after he potty trained, around the same sort of age. He just asked not to wear them and we went with it, we had no problems. If he's willing - and certainly sounds capable - then I'd just definitely go with it! I can't see any reason to wait if he's able to do it.

ChasingSquirrels Wed 03-Nov-10 20:08:52

both my boys were reliably dry at night before they stopped having accidents in the day. I've never seen "leave nappy for 3 months after daytime training".
If you want to stick with a night time nappy, would pull-up's help as he could get it off easier - and if he doesn't wet in them you can just reuse.

sheeplikessleep Wed 03-Nov-10 20:09:12

Blimey, my DS1 has been potty trained in the day for about 3 months now, still has a soaking wet nappy overnight.

No experience whatsoever, but if your boy has a dry nappy in the morning, I say go for it. Put waterproof sheet on and try it!

Good luck - amazing he's dry at night so quickly!

Littlefish Wed 03-Nov-10 20:11:03

Dd was the same. I kept a nappy on her for about 3 weeks because I couldn't believe she was dry!

After that, I just decided to stop wasting nappies, and just put a plastic sheet under her sheet.

HowToShoutSoHusbandsWillListen Wed 03-Nov-10 20:11:21

Also never heard the 3 month "rule" and pretty sure we didn't wait that long with DD.

Nightime dryness is largely about being physically ready (certain hormone) so I'd say go for it if he appears to be there. You'll have to bite the bullet at some point!

FreudianSlimmery Wed 03-Nov-10 20:20:05

My DD was dry at night a week after potty training in the day (which itself only took half a day) basically I think that was so quick because she was older (just turned 3) and she suddenly felt ready.

If you think he's readythen go for it, no point confusing him by using nappies at night if he doesn't want to.

Make sure there is a nightlight and a potty in his room maybe, and get some disposable bed mats.

Cheeseismyweakness Wed 03-Nov-10 20:38:57

when i said ALL the books- was a slight exaggeration- but definitely one toddler book of mine and the gina ford potty training book (her name is probably a swear word on this site- and personally i came to despise the contented baby book, but thats another story.. however her potty book was short and sweet with a few useful bits, although where she got the 3 month thing from i've no idea)

looks like i'll have to bite the bullet and quit nappies then!

Beattiebow Wed 03-Nov-10 20:42:08

My 4 were all dry at night at the same time as the day too - I didn't know to wait for first one and, as that worked, I did the same for the others too.

I also waited with each so it took less than a week with them all.

Roo83 Sun 14-Nov-10 08:06:48

Ds was dry at night before he was dry in the day (less to distract him at night) so I put him in pants straight away. If he's dry anyway why waste money on nappies? Get a plastic sheet and keep some pull-ups in just in case of emergency. Otherwise I'd go for it

TrinityTheTwattyRhino Sun 14-Nov-10 08:10:01

I would just take the nappy off

gecko decided herself, likes seriously herself, I was up for waiting till the next summer, to train herself day and night two weeks before her second birthday

all I had to do was lift her on the loo as she was too tiny even for a step to begin with and NOT hold her down in a headlock to put a nappy on

she was adamant and now at 3 and a h;af she has had one accident when she wasn't well and fell asleep in the car

she is my treat for having a nightmare with dd1 and dd2, infact dd2 is still having wetting issues now and 5 and a hlf

Hersetta Fri 19-Nov-10 14:38:44

We trained DD when she was 2.4 which took less than a week. We took her out of pullups at night less than a month later as they were consistently dry. She is now 3.2 and has only ever had one night time accident. Go for...you can only but try.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: