Talk

Advanced search

Periods starting while breastfeeding

(7 Posts)
TheBumbleBee Wed 04-Dec-19 00:38:35

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with periods starting while breastfeeding.

I had my first period after birth in August when my little one was 5 months old and exclusively breastfed and it was quite light. She's now 9 months and weaning but I still feed her probably around 6 times a day and occasionally at night though mostly only when she's teething. I havent had another period since the first so almost 4 months now but keep getting really bad cramps and nausea. It started off lasting just a day or two every 3 or 4 weeks but I had a full week of it just over 2 weeks ago during which I really struggled to sleep (got about 2 hours each night, though little one wasn't to blame). I've now had nausea and bad cramps for the past week and find I am often having to rush to the loo within an hour or two of eating as I feel really sick.

I know cramping is common in the lead up to periods starting but I never had it for so long pre pregnancy - maybe one day of cramping and nausea at most, and of course the obvious question would be am I pregnant. I have only had unprotected sex once and that was about 2 months ago and it was interrupted due to our little girl waking up hungry so I would think it unlikely.

Has anyone else had any similar experiences they can share? I'm thinking of going to the doctor as it's gotten to the point that I've had to miss a week of work but I doubt I'll be able to see anyone until after Christmas so any advice would be appreciated.

HappyAsASandboy Wed 04-Dec-19 01:01:37

First of all do a pregnancy test. If you think you've had a period (or even if you don't), you've had unprotected sex two months ago (whether "finished" or not), and you've had stomach cramps and nausea for two months, I'd rule that in or out first.

Whether you're pregnant or not, make a GP appointment to talk this through. It could be absolutely nothing to worry about, but equally two months of cramps and nausea if not pregnant needs a medical opinion.

Good luck!

TheBumbleBee Sat 07-Dec-19 08:47:23

I've taken two pregnancy tests 24 hours apart and both came back negative and have been struggling to get a hold of a doctor. Going to keep trying but in the meantime if anyone experienced anything similar I'd appreciate any advice.

HappyAsASandboy Tue 17-Dec-19 14:30:08

Are you able to make an appointment via your GP surgery?

TheBumbleBee Tue 17-Dec-19 14:51:05

So I've seen a doctor and had a blood test as the doctor couldn't think of any reason other than pregnancy. Just got the results and they've come back as negative for pregnancy hormone. I'm still feeling sick all the time and havent been at work for 4 weeks because of it now. I'm not able to get another GP appointment until the 31st so I'm at a loss for what's causing this. I'm going to keep trying to get a last minute appointment as they release more throughout the day but otherwise dont know what to do.

HappyAsASandboy Tue 17-Dec-19 20:19:16

What did the doctor who did the blood tests suggest next?

TheBumbleBee Tue 17-Dec-19 20:48:24

Just the blood test. She is training and needed to consult a senior doctor before deciding on the blood tests. She said a doctor would follow up the results with me over the phone but as it came up negative it was treated as 'no further action necessary' by the surgery. The doctor I saw is not working this week and if I ask for a call back I'll just be asked if I'm pregnant then told to come in as a doctor wont want to diagnose anything without an examination anyway.

It's a bit frustrating because this nausea and sickness has been going on for 4 weeks now which is worrying, and on top of that my work want a sick note as I've been off over 2 weeks but I cant get one until I see a doctor.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »