Talk

Advanced search

Compression stockings after c section

(13 Posts)
KatieKat88 Fri 22-Nov-19 14:33:07

How long were you told to wear them? I've been told 6 weeks which seems like forever! Currently 16 days in... still spending a lot of time sitting down so probably should continue? (Also I hate breaking the rules!)

Shelley54 Fri 22-Nov-19 14:40:34

I took mine off the next day with the blessing of the staff both times. But I was up and walking around, and despite high blood pressure, I had no history of clots or other risk factors.

By all means ask your midwife / GP, but if you've been told to wear them so long I'm assuming there's a reason or risk factor you have?

TrashKitten10 Fri 22-Nov-19 17:49:54

I was told to keep wearing them until I'd finished the injections to prevent clots, which I think was 10 days after birth. Admittedly I ditched them a few days before then as I was quite quickly on my feet but really struggled getting the wretched things on and off and they kept rolling down my legs in the night. You'd be a trooper to get to six weeks still wrestling those things on and off.

Stormblessed Fri 22-Nov-19 20:03:00

I wore mine day and night (with a few hand washes between) till I could move about properly and get out for a walk with the pram. Probably just over a week.

Deadheadstickeronacadillac Fri 22-Nov-19 20:23:37

Not to be scary but have suffered a DVT after c-section, but also haemorrhaged.
Are you on heparin injections too? The socks are a necessary evil...I wore them for 6 weeks after 2nd c-section and was on twice daily fragmin as well as fragmin throughout pregnancy.
The hassle I have encountered over the past 10 years following the post op DVT makes me realise that if it could have been avoided by wearing the socks, I happily would have done so! Travel insurance is higher, I have to take fragmin injections every time I fly, and any surgery becomes very stressful for the surgeons.
You will be fine, but try to wear them day and night for at least 3 weeks?

KNMom Fri 22-Nov-19 23:46:39

I was on heparin injections for 10 days, and was told to wear the stockings for 6 weeks, 'or as long as I can manage it.' I managed just under 3 weeks. Once the swelling in my legs went down and I stopped bleeding, I felt comfortable no longer wearing them. But this is a decision everyone needs to make based on their own circumstances and it is of course always best to follow medical advice.

Celebelly Fri 22-Nov-19 23:48:19

I was told six weeks but I took them off to wash once I got home and never put them back on again blush In my defence, I was very active from the minute I got home but I should have worn them I know!

Ketomeato Fri 22-Nov-19 23:49:14

6 weeks. And I was on heparin post haemorrhage and high risk of clots so wasn’t taking any chances

TiceCream Fri 22-Nov-19 23:52:55

Six weeks. They’re horrible. But I wore them because I know a lady who died from a blood clot shortly after giving birth.

KatieKat88 Sat 23-Nov-19 07:38:50

Thanks all - I'll persevere! Was just confused as I assumed everyone would be told 6 weeks and then saw some conflicting stuff from other people. I had pre-eclampsia and then was re-admitted to hospital on day 6 as my blood pressure was sky high, so I'm fairly anxious to make sure I keep heading in the right direction anyway!

KatieKat88 Sat 23-Nov-19 07:40:24

And yes I also had the heparin injections for 10 days too - fun bruises from some of those!

BlodwynBludd Sat 23-Nov-19 07:42:42

Has the fragmin injections but the socks came off 24 hours later, before I was discharged the second time.

RandomWok Sat 23-Nov-19 07:45:58

6 weeks minimum. It is really not worth the risk. My first one I didn't even get sent home with a pair. Nobody mentioned it. 2nd I did the full 6 weeks. I was very active and back on the school run by week two. There is a history of blood clots in my family. I did taken them off for some breathing time though!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »