Talk

Advanced search

Swollen and hard under one breast

(7 Posts)
Leafy2018 Tue 19-Nov-19 22:54:55

Hi,

I am breastfeeding my 9 month old daughter. It's been really hard throughout but I've persevered as I really wanted to do it. She's my third baby and I didn't have problems feeding the first two. She's always had an appalling latch and no amount of positioning would help. I had a lump under my right breast scanned and was told it's accessory breast tissue. I have had horrendous pain on and off and now just accept that's how it is. I'm in a very painful stage at the moment and little teeth aren't helping! I have a white dot that comes and goes on end of my nipple - think it's a milk bleb but it doesn't respond to treatment. Occasionally my right breast feels really horrible - sort of infected and then it goes again. No one seems to be able to help me.

Anyway - my right breast got a bit engorged earlier - I forgot to feed her for a while this morning and was a bit late feeding her this afternoon (did breast feed between those times) but she is on solids now so she doesn't need as much breastfeeding as she once did. I've now given her a really good feed on that side and also expressed and yet the underside of my breast still feels painful, hard, swollen and slightly misshapen (like when you are too full.) I've had a hot shower but no joy, massaging doesn't work. How long should this go on for? I'm panicking that it's something mire sinister.

Any advice or experiences gratefully received!

Leafy2018 Tue 19-Nov-19 22:56:35

That should read 'a lump under my armpit was scanned'.

Monstermoomin Tue 19-Nov-19 22:58:56

Have you had mastitis at all on your breastfeeding journey? How are you feeling in yourself, any flu/cold symptoms.

Might be worth calling 111 just for some advice and reassurance?

Leafy2018 Tue 19-Nov-19 23:16:10

Hi, thanks for replying. No mastitis so far. I feel ok in myself so I don't think it's that. But could be related to blocked duct/bleb. It feels sort of bruised where it's swollen and full.

Monstermoomin Tue 19-Nov-19 23:26:43

I had mastitis and I didn't get flu symptoms to be fair. I had excruciating pain that I couldn't hold my daughter, a bit of lumpyness and redness, and hot to touch.

Hoping that you start to feel better soon!

Leafy2018 Wed 20-Nov-19 06:30:14

That's interesting, thanks for sharing. I am going to doctors first thing. I also now cannot hold off daughter that side and it's agony if it gets touched. It feels as though I've got pebbles in the underside of my breast. Some throbbing pain. No redness but you can see it looks hard. Feels a bit warm. I'm really fed up with all this.

Monstermoomin Wed 20-Nov-19 09:03:08

Hopefully you feel better soon, they caught mine early before it made me super unwell like it can and the antibiotics helped within a few days.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »