Talk

Advanced search

Newborn full of mucus - Advice?

(8 Posts)
Jlp1234 Mon 18-Nov-19 20:28:06

My daughter was born via forceps 6 days ago now and has been really congested and full of mucus ever since. She sounds as though she’s struggling to breath at times and it’s horrible to listen to because she’s so small still. Any advice?

Floriday Tue 19-Nov-19 14:09:43

DS was like this when born due to a very quick delivery. Midwife said not to be concerned and he just needed to sick it up after a feed. He did vomit an entire feed which brought up a lot of mucus but was still very rattly and congested when breathing and sounded like he was struggling, took DS to the doctors and she explained that the cartilage in babies is very soft and floppy and that it can rattle when they breathe and make them sound congested, particularly when lying down and it’s completely normal. DS is now 3 months and it’s almost completely gone now.

IamPickleRick Tue 19-Nov-19 14:11:21

My first was like that, I did lots of gentle rubbing of the back. I don’t know if it helped him clear it but he liked the comfort. It’s distessing to see them choke it up but it does pass x

DameSylvieKrin Tue 19-Nov-19 14:12:31

Did a doctor tell you it was mucus?
Mine was like this for several days after birth and as we were still in hospital I asked the paediatric nurse. She said it was amniotic fluid and it would work its way out on its own.

barneymcgroo Tue 19-Nov-19 14:25:17

It's very normal. DS sounded like a snuffly piglet for quite a while. Reassuringly, means you can hear them breathing. Just wait til it stops - end up checking they're still breathing CONSTANTLY... Congratulations.

SuperSimpleSnogs Tue 19-Nov-19 14:31:45

My DS was like this after a very quick birth, he was sooo noisy! No one seemed concerned about it so I wasnt..he grew out of it by about 12 weeks.

GrumpyHoonMain Tue 19-Nov-19 14:36:31

Putting in a baby vicks type plug in might help. You could also use a nasal aspirator (get help from your health visitor if needed) if her nose is stuffy. Another thing that often works is baby massage - so if you have classes nearby def worth trying it.

Nat6999 Tue 19-Nov-19 14:56:23

Ds was born by emcs & I spent nearly 2 days battling to not BF. When I finally got "permission" to FF, he was starving & fed none stop for about 6 hours, during that night I woke up to his hospital cot covered in sick which was mainly snot. I got told it was because his lungs hadn't had the mucus squeezed out like it would have with a natural birth. After that I managed to raise the head of his cot & it never happened again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »