Talk

Advanced search

Bleeding after birth?

(27 Posts)
mamabear2409 Fri 15-Nov-19 21:56:06

So yesterday my DS turned 6 weeks and we went for our 6 week check and everything was fine - he was born by ELCS and stitches are fine - no sign of infection. I stopped bleeding about 2 weeks ago and have just been passing discharge up until 4 days ago. All of a sudden this morning I have started to bleed again?! It's reddish and pinkish with small clots. I'm slightly concerned as I've been told your bleeding should only get better - not worse.

A few days after birth I was admitted back to hospital for a kidney infection but I highly doubt it is related to that even though I'm getting similar cramp pains. Doctor checked my urine yesterday and no signs on infection..

Anyone got any advice or experienced anything similar?

mrsed1987 Fri 15-Nov-19 22:02:16

Silly question but could it be your period?

mynameiscalypso Fri 15-Nov-19 22:03:36

Yeah, my period arrived bang on 6 weeks after my ELCS. I think I had about two days of no bleeding and then it came back.

mamabear2409 Fri 15-Nov-19 22:04:38

@mrsed1987 I highly doubt it, it just doesn't feel like my period. My periods don't tend to cause this sort of pain and I didn't experience anything like this with DD..

Gustavo1 Fri 15-Nov-19 22:08:37

It could well be a period. My first couple after my 2nd and 3rd baby were very heavy. I had clots and dizziness.
I’m not sure whether the nhs out of hours number would have any advice for you by it could be worth a call.

mamabear2409 Fri 15-Nov-19 22:08:37

@mynameiscalypso oh wow okay, I guess I'm possibly being over cautious after my infectionblush

mamabear2409 Fri 15-Nov-19 22:09:56

@Gustavo1 I wouldn't say the bleeding is heavy, it just reminds me of lochia bleeding

lauryloo Fri 15-Nov-19 22:10:42

My 1st few periods after a section were awful. It does sound like it could be.

if you are concerned then call 111 as you know your body best

mrsed1987 Fri 15-Nov-19 22:12:01

My first period was 6 weeks after and was different to hiw they were before i had my baby so i wouldnt discount it

Jue01 Fri 15-Nov-19 22:15:22

Yes - I too had my period six weeks after ELCS - I had no bleeding for one day. I went to my GP who said it's your period , I said it can't be it's not the same, to which her reply was - it won't be, and it never has been!!

mynameiscalypso Fri 15-Nov-19 22:16:32

Do you have a temperature? I'd let that guide me personally. Like others, I have also found my post-baby periods very different to pre-baby.

Sparkle733 Fri 15-Nov-19 22:17:58

I also had my period after 6 weeks.
The first period after a c section was the worst for me.

eternallybaffled Fri 15-Nov-19 22:23:30

Are you breastfeeding? BF tends to hold your period off. If you aren't BF, it could well be your period resuming. Generally anyone I've spoken to, has said that their first couple of periods were hell after having a baby. So long as there is no smell and you aren't feeling ill I wouldn't be concerned.

Joey2412 Fri 15-Nov-19 22:24:50

I had a secondary pph after my first birth. I was still having the lochia at the time but then started with small clots until I woke in the night haemorrhaging massive clots the size of my fist. It was like having contractions again. They think it was retained placenta.

Keep an eye on the clots , if they get bigger or more painful I would call midwife if you are still under them?

PushkinTheCat Fri 15-Nov-19 22:28:54

Have you been doing more than previously? Mine stopped around the 3/4 week mark and then started up again after a few days. Didn’t get a proper period until about 4 months post-partum but in hindsight, I think overdoing it caused the lochia to start up again.

mamabear2409 Fri 15-Nov-19 22:30:05

@eternallybaffled no not breastfeeding. Wasn't aware you could get a period this soon! blushconfused

firsttimebuyer20 Fri 15-Nov-19 22:31:10

@mamabear2409 I had a vaginal delivery so not sure if it would differ, but I also didn't BF and got my period within a week of lochia stopping.

I was not happy grin

mamabear2409 Fri 15-Nov-19 22:31:44

@Joey2412 this is what I'm worried about in all honesty! When I was hospitalised for my kidney infection, I passed a clot the size of a tennis ball and it didn't seem to be an issue with the midwife I mentioned it too..

Phillipa12 Fri 15-Nov-19 22:32:19

4 c sections, periods returned bang on 6 weeks post sections, i exclusively breastfed all 4 dc. It was really annoying......

mamabear2409 Fri 15-Nov-19 22:32:49

Did anyone experience really blood stained urine as well? I've never really had this issue with periods before but did with they first week of postpartum bleeding

icannotremember Fri 15-Nov-19 22:33:22

I thought lochia had restarted with my third son but it was my period even though I was ebf. It can happen! If you're at all concerned get advice though.

mamabear2409 Fri 15-Nov-19 22:35:49

@PushkinTheCat tbh I've been pretty laid back with duties. I haven't been bathing either of my children and only been changing and picking up DS up to now. Looking to resume my duties tomorrow tho.

Joey2412 Fri 15-Nov-19 22:42:39

@mamabear2409 well you can't miss it if it starts - was literally falling out of me, poor DH nearly passed out! I had no other symptoms other than cramps- no temperature or anything. Keep an eye on it and have a bag packed ready just in case. Hopefully it's nothing though. Wishing you well xxxx

keepingbees Fri 15-Nov-19 23:33:23

Keep an eye on it for clot size and any smell etc. But this very same thing happened to me, I raised it at the 6 week check and possible retained placenta was mentioned. It turned out to be my period. It totally threw me as I was ebf and hadn't had periods at all when bf first time round.

Joey2412 Mon 25-Nov-19 21:36:43

Hi OP

Just checking in that you are ok and hoping it was nothing x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »