Talk

Advanced search

Baby chokes on saliva, milk and now mucus

(3 Posts)
HJ82 Fri 08-Nov-19 17:09:08

My DD has had serious bouts of choking since birth. Colour change choking. First they said reflux but I don't think she had that. She's 5 months now and has a cold and has had a major choking fit on mucus. She barely has any cold symptoms. She chokes on the boob occasionally too. Has also started wheezing from time to time. Could she have some kind throat issue? We have seen multiple drs and a paed 3 times. As well as a&e. Anyone shed light here? Been in a similar situation? I'm terrified to start her on solids!! I'm waiting for her to be added to my private insurance then I'll take her to be properly looked it. Surely this isn't normal. Im so scared. I feel like we need to have her throat looked at 🤷🏼‍♀️

dementedpixie Fri 08-Nov-19 17:14:08

Sounds a bit like this:

www.nhs.uk/conditions/swallowing-problems-dysphagia/

FreezerBird Fri 08-Nov-19 17:22:29

I wouldn't worry too much about solids as it's actually much harder for them to go down 'the wrong way' than it is for liquids. Liquid moves much faster and if your dd is having trouble co-ordinating her swallow that will cause much more of a problem. Start her with thick, totally smooth puree and see how she goes if you're nervous. I totally appreciate that not worrying is easier said than done.

I would ask to be referred to a speech and language therapist who deals with swallowing. I'm a bit surprised that hasn't already been suggested. They can listen to her swallow with a stethoscope as she feeds and order more investigation if necessary.

Maybe say that you're really worried about the weaning aspect and see if that gets things moving a bit faster.

(My daughter has an 'unsafe swallow' and is tube fed - I am in no way saying that's what's going on here but that's the background to the little that I know!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »