Talk

Advanced search

Can I have a glass of wine ?

(6 Posts)
Newmum2b78 Sun 27-Oct-19 18:45:28

Not sure if this is the right place, but DD is 13 days old and I am breast feeding. I've read so much conflicting info online as to whether or not you can actually have a glass of wine or 2 ?
I have had one with my tea, but worried I've done the wrong thing !

Thanks ladies

ChaosMoon Tue 29-Oct-19 20:56:41

You did nothing wrong!
The level of alcohol in your breast milk will never be higher than your blood alcohol level. If you drank enough to kill yourself, your blood alcohol level would be roughly equivalent to the alcohol level in fruit juice (bearing in mind that some of the juice always ferments). After one or two glasses, it would be significantly lower!

Congratulations, by the way. wine

Kimberleigh Thu 31-Oct-19 18:08:30

I enjoy a few glasses of prosecco every fri and sat. But i always wait 2 hours per drink until feeding again. I do combination feed though so it works well.

Newmum2b78 Thu 31-Oct-19 18:51:31

I'm just trying combination feeding as I don't feel she is satisfied with just me. After a bottle she seems so much more settled. Just feel guilty doing it xx

NavyBerry Thu 31-Oct-19 18:57:57

I have seen some special strips on Amazon that you can check the level of alcohol in your breastmilk with. They can just be smth to keep your mind in peace if you want to have a glass of wine and then breastfeed.

hormonesorDHbeingadick Thu 31-Oct-19 19:03:52

Do you want to combination feed? If you want to continue to breast feed you need to let her cluster feed, this is what increases your supply. Was her weight fine at 10 days? If she then she doesn’t need formula but it should be OK to give one bottle a day if you want to.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »