Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had a chronic anal fissure?

(7 Posts)
Lizbiz89 Wed 17-Jul-19 16:47:54

I've had problems going to the toilet since having my dd over 2 years ago. It started out with severe constipation straight after birth. Then it got extremely painful. I was screaming with pain. Then I was checked and they said I had an anal fissure so prescribed me cream and stool softerners. This helped slightly but the problem didn't go away so I've been on stool softerners ever since and when I stop taking them it comes back.

When I had my second child, the midwife thought I'd torn to my anal passage but when the consultant checked they said I hadn't torn and it was a fissure and left it at that. I'm guessing now that I have a chronic anal fissure. Has anyone had this? If so please could you let me know how it was treated?

polkadotpixie Wed 17-Jul-19 22:14:11

I've not had this myself but I work in colorectal surgery and there are treatments that can help such as Botox (believe it or not!). Ask your GP for a referral

Unburnished Wed 17-Jul-19 22:25:26

You need to apply Anoheal for at leadt six weeks, twice a day.

DannyWallace Fri 19-Jul-19 20:01:09

Oh you poor thing.
If you search my previous threads I was asking advice on one I had. It's only been months, but for a while was absolutely horrific (worse than childbirth!!). My terrible constipation didn't help either.
It's mostly better just using laxatives long term. I thought I was out of the woods, but last week proved not quite (as in, if my poo is solid at all, it's agony!).
I'm BF so I've heard there's a few things that aren't suitable for me.

Following this thread for any advice.

Hermones1 Wed 24-Jul-19 08:20:30

@Lizbiz89 Botox will fix it almost immediately I'm talking from experience!

Bettyhop Fri 02-Aug-19 17:07:01

I have come on here to ask the same thing. Currently 12 weeks pn and in anal fissure hell. I had a 3rd degree tear too.
So far I've seen the physio, changed diet etc and waited 3 months for a colorectal appointment. It's seriously affecting my quality of life I can hardly sit to breastfeed and have had to stop driving again due to the pain when sitting. Today it has continued to bleed for 5 hours after I had opened my bowels.
I feel you ladies are the only ones who understand! X

Bettyhop Fri 02-Aug-19 17:13:42

I've also tried the gtn cream and the suppositries and laxatives. Does anyone have any diet advice that has worked? X

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »