Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had a chronic anal fissure?

(8 Posts)
Lizbiz89 Wed 17-Jul-19 16:47:54

I've had problems going to the toilet since having my dd over 2 years ago. It started out with severe constipation straight after birth. Then it got extremely painful. I was screaming with pain. Then I was checked and they said I had an anal fissure so prescribed me cream and stool softerners. This helped slightly but the problem didn't go away so I've been on stool softerners ever since and when I stop taking them it comes back.

When I had my second child, the midwife thought I'd torn to my anal passage but when the consultant checked they said I hadn't torn and it was a fissure and left it at that. I'm guessing now that I have a chronic anal fissure. Has anyone had this? If so please could you let me know how it was treated?

polkadotpixie Wed 17-Jul-19 22:14:11

I've not had this myself but I work in colorectal surgery and there are treatments that can help such as Botox (believe it or not!). Ask your GP for a referral

Unburnished Wed 17-Jul-19 22:25:26

You need to apply Anoheal for at leadt six weeks, twice a day.

DannyWallace Fri 19-Jul-19 20:01:09

Oh you poor thing.
If you search my previous threads I was asking advice on one I had. It's only been months, but for a while was absolutely horrific (worse than childbirth!!). My terrible constipation didn't help either.
It's mostly better just using laxatives long term. I thought I was out of the woods, but last week proved not quite (as in, if my poo is solid at all, it's agony!).
I'm BF so I've heard there's a few things that aren't suitable for me.

Following this thread for any advice.

Hermones1 Wed 24-Jul-19 08:20:30

@Lizbiz89 Botox will fix it almost immediately I'm talking from experience!

Bettyhop Fri 02-Aug-19 17:07:01

I have come on here to ask the same thing. Currently 12 weeks pn and in anal fissure hell. I had a 3rd degree tear too.
So far I've seen the physio, changed diet etc and waited 3 months for a colorectal appointment. It's seriously affecting my quality of life I can hardly sit to breastfeed and have had to stop driving again due to the pain when sitting. Today it has continued to bleed for 5 hours after I had opened my bowels.
I feel you ladies are the only ones who understand! X

Bettyhop Fri 02-Aug-19 17:13:42

I've also tried the gtn cream and the suppositries and laxatives. Does anyone have any diet advice that has worked? X

Bettyhop Tue 27-Aug-19 22:35:51

I just wanted to update this thread to say that my fissure has finally almost healed. I've been prescribed an unlicensed cream which I have used religiously twice a day-diltiazem hydrochloride as well as fybogel and lactulose. I've also had a high fibre diet with plenty of fruit, veg, whole grains and porridge with linseed every morning as well as only drinking water. My chronic fissure of 12 weeks has finally healed and so has my emotional wellbeing. Please do not suffer in silence! This can be treated x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »