Talk

Advanced search

Breast feeding and insomnia

(6 Posts)
Letly Sun 14-Jul-19 12:51:25

Hi all. Sorry if I've not posted this in the right place, this is my first time.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with what they believe to be breast feeding induced insomnia, or insomnia upon giving up breast feeding? My LO is nearly 7 months and for the past month I've been weaning off the breast. I've never been a good sleeper, even less so since having my eldest child 4 years ago. But over the past month my insomnia has gone off the scale. I seem to remain at the stage where you just start to drift off, and on a good night may achieve a doze on and off for maybe 4 hours. A bad night no sleep at all. I've tried upping the BF again to see if it helps, but it doesn't seem to. I feel I've tried everything there is to try (within bf boundaries) to help me sleep, and no luck. Which makes me wonder if it's hormonal. If anyone has any experience of this please let me know if it passed and if anything helped? It's not associated with pnd, as some of the worst nights have fallen on days where I've felt the best. Thank you xx

JoMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 15-Jul-19 15:04:16

Hi @Letly, we're going to move your thread over to our Postnatal Health topic (we couldn't decide whether that or Infant Feeding was the best fit for your thread, but hopefully you'll get some support and advice from other Mumsnetters before too long).

Sorry you're going through such a tough time. flowers brew

JoMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 15-Jul-19 17:45:19

And another bump for luck.

Letly Mon 15-Jul-19 19:03:04

Thank you so much. Yes, I would have chosen that subject too smile

Blondiecub0109 Mon 15-Jul-19 19:40:25

Hi @Letly! I don’t have a definitive answer but am also suffering. My DS has just started weaning (5 m.o.) and for some lifestyle and reflux reasons he’s getting 2 bottles of formula - mid am and mid pm. He’s still fed by me morning, noon, early eve and once or twice in the night.

However my insomnia is off the chart. I believe it’s a known hormonal side effect of reducing BF.

FWIW, we did IVF to have DS and some of the drugs I was given to block natural ovulation had the same insomnia effect (as well as menopause symptoms.

Letly Tue 16-Jul-19 11:33:27

Thank you @Blondiecub0109. It helps SO much to know I'm not alone (although I'm sorry you are also going through this). If I speak of my theory to my partner, friends and even doctor they look at me as if I'm insane, and I was beginning to wonder! I can't find any respectable info online, but maybe haven't been looking in the right places. I currently only feed my DD once in the am, and I express in the evening. I would increase this however since she's started the bottle she has a liking for it! I'm scared to give up BF completely as I believe the hormones are helping me stay positive, and cope with the day on such little/no sleep. Plus I suffered with pnd after DD1 (who I didn't BF for various reasons). But I can see the physical and mental impact the lack of sleep is having on me, and amongst other things do not feel safe to drive. I have a 4 year old so the situation is really not sustainable. But I can't see the sleep returning until perhaps my periods return ?when?!! Urghhh. What do you plan to do? How are you coping? Xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »