Talk

Advanced search

Post natal depression/ anti depressants

(8 Posts)
Bridie84 Thu 11-Jul-19 21:47:20

Please can anyone share with me their experience of visiting their GP for post natal depression?

I went to my GP today, my baby is 8 weeks old and I’ve been feeling down for the past 3 weeks. It’s my third baby and I didn’t get down after my previous two but I think a traumatic birth and my baby been poorly after birth (she’s fine now) might have caused the depression.

My GP didn’t really seem to get it, he said things like try to be happy you have a healthy baby and hopefully you’ll get over it soon. He said he wouldn’t consider prescribing me anti depressants because I’m breast feeding. He suggested counselling instead and gave me some numbers. I have made an appointment for counselling but I just wondered what anyone else has experienced and if anyone has taken anti depressants while breast feeding?

Thanks

mamaandthegirls Thu 11-Jul-19 22:23:28

Yes I have had PND on both my DD’s, currently under the care of perinatal MHT as I had a baby 9 months ago and mood is terrible, but I do also suffer from BPD which makes my mood worse.
Not sure why your GP has said that, I don’t really find it helpful that he has said “try to be happy as you have a healthy baby” it just isn’t that easy sometimes! There are antidepressants that you can BF on as I have breastfed while on mirtazipine and my psychiatrist told me there is only like 0.1% amount / chance of it passing through to breast milk, but if the benefits of the antidepressant outweigh the risks then it’s okay.

As for experience on both DD’s I struggled to bond with them (absolutely love them to bits now) but felt like a dark cloud was hovering over my head and I would dream about running away from the children and the responsibilities. Things still aren’t the best now, but getting support and help now.
I really hope you feel more like yourself soon OP. If you ever need to vent just let me know, I know how hard it can be. Be kind to yourself.flowers

Bridie84 Fri 12-Jul-19 10:20:51

Thanks so much for your response. I think I got a GP that didn't really get post natal depression! I think I will try to see another one who might be a bit more understanding. How did you find the anti depressants, did they seem to work for you?

It's awful feeling so down all the time, I've booked into see a counsellor but I still think maybe I need anti depressants.

BuggaLugga Fri 12-Jul-19 10:25:50

Sertraline is OK with breast feeding, I seem to remember. There are one or two others as well like Amitriptyline. I think the doctor is a bit old fashioned and agree you should see someone else. Sorry you're having a hard time thanks

differentkindofpenguin Fri 12-Jul-19 10:28:32

Sorry you're feeling down, it's terrible! I second trying a different GP. I have been on/ off antidepressants for about 15 years, my lovely GP prescribed paroxetine which is an old fashioned one, but there are options there! Made me feel much better, and I carried on breastfeeding for about 10 months after that with no issues

Bridie84 Fri 12-Jul-19 14:50:32

Thanks for your advice it's much appreciated!

Brobot Fri 12-Jul-19 23:59:51

Hi @Bridie84 your doctor clearly hasn't a clue because that is a ridiculous thing to say to someone with pnd lol. I have a 19 week old little boy and from day one I felt horrendous. I was also so anxious all the time. I have been on sertraline all through my pregnancy and 2 weeks the gp upped my dose and diagnosed postnatal depression. Sertraline is safe for pregnancy and breastfeeding and in my experience has definitely helped my mood. I felt counselling would only be helpful if there are specific aspects of my life or past that are making me feel this way- counselling won't stop my hormones being out of wack which is essentially what is happening with pnd. If you are comfortable with medication it can really help. PND is an illness and very treatable so don't lose hope- go to a different doctor because that man needs training lol

Bridie84 Sat 13-Jul-19 10:36:45

Thanks for your advice I think I will make an appointment to see another GP! It's good to know other mums have had medication while breastfeeding.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »