Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Not feeling overwhelming love for baby - Possible PND?

(19 Posts)
c24680 Sat 11-Aug-18 09:46:44

Hi there,

I'm 6 postpartum and I feel absolutely awful for saying this but I don't feel like I love my baby sad

I'm happy, baby is happy, she feeds well, barely cries, sleeps well - I get 7hrs block sleep most nights but yet I still don't feel like I love her like I love my dog sad

It's almost like I'm just going through the motions of taking care of her. I didn't have a difficult pregnancy, I was induced 3 times and during monitoring throughout the induction period and labour her heart rate would drop and after 5 days of this it ended with me having an emergency c-section.

I don't know if I'm feeling like this because I thought she wasn't going to make it or it's because it's a massive change and it's quite normal.

BlossomCat Sat 11-Aug-18 09:55:01

How old is your little girl? I had a tough delivery, and all I felt was overwhelming relief that he was out. He was perfectly lovely and sweet, but the love didn't come until over a week later. Before that I was going through the motions, but the love did come when I was feeling stronger.
If these feelings continue to persist, go and talk to your health visitor, you won't be alone in feeling like this, but it's not alright to not be alright. flowers

thethoughtfox Sat 11-Aug-18 10:05:49

Love grows. It will come up in little stages or a big wave. Mine came when a fly landed on her and I felt this tiger rage to get this dirty thing away from her. Put her in the cutest clothes you have. It helps! If you don't feel happy or any moments of thinking she is sweet or connecting with her, speak to the doctor in case your hormones are out of whack.

Amaried Sat 11-Aug-18 10:08:26

Perfectly normal..
Love grows with time and as she starts to smile at you, that will all help.
I definitely didn't feel this instant over whelming love I'd heard people talk about, however I adore my three now. It will come. smile

rocketpocket Sat 11-Aug-18 10:10:57

Totally normal. You wouldn't be expected to love anyone else overwhelmingly after such a short time. Never mind a screaming ball of flesh that keeps you up all night and gives nothing back. The love will come.

c24680 Sat 11-Aug-18 10:54:32

Thank you all, it's reassuring I'm not alone!

She's been smiling at me for a week or so now, it is lovely but I'm just sad that I don't feel like I love her sad I'm sure it'll come in time, she is only 6weeks old.

intuition Sat 11-Aug-18 11:06:42

If it's your first child then it's really normal to not know how you feel. Don't worry. I used to think of someone took DS1 away I would be relieved to have a good nights sleep!! Perfectly normal.

c24680 Sun 12-Aug-18 17:18:51

Thanks all, had a good nights sleep last night and I feel much better this morningsmile

GummyGoddess Sun 12-Aug-18 17:22:31

I have two children, I didn't feel love for either of them at birth but did feel extremely protective of them. Now I adore both of them. If you're worried then speak to your health visitor or gp, they will help you.

Spanglyprincess1 Sun 12-Aug-18 17:31:37

Same feeling here and my boy is six weeks. Thought I wasn't too bothered til my sister came into the house and pciked him up and carried him outsidd without asking me - I went all momma bear about it and blind panicked. I do love him but I loved my dog more, but I think it's 100% sleep deprivation. I defo feel much more love when I have slept and he's not screaming. Speak to your hv or doctor if your concerned.

Btw 7 hrs!! I'm soo jelous mine barely sleeps for two hours together sad

c24680 Sun 12-Aug-18 19:51:00

@Spanglyprincess1 @GummyGoddess

I'll mention it to the health visitor during my next appointment in two weeks time if I'm still feeling this way.

@Spanglyprincess1
That's exactly how I feel! I always feel bad saying my baby sleeps from 9:30-7am as I know this is really good for a newborn, she's been like this since 3 weeks. She was over cooked and a big baby though!

I think yesterday's sadness was a combination of hormones and she was up twice during the night which I'm not use to now.

bobstersmum Sun 12-Aug-18 20:03:13

With my second I clearly remember him suddenly giggling for the first time at whatever age that was, and I just felt that overwhelming love then, I loved him before that of course but that's when first felt the surge of love. I think I grows and as you bond you sort of fall deeper in love.

bobstersmum Sun 12-Aug-18 20:04:14

And dd, my third she's 15 months and still doesn't sleep 7 hours so I am jealous!

inthekitchensink Sun 12-Aug-18 20:06:56

Yep, you’re exhausted and in recovery. Just keep her close, cuddles and it gets better and the love grows and grows. Do ask for help, see the dr, try pills if you’re feeling numb or flat, just take one day at a time

Spanglyprincess1 Sun 12-Aug-18 20:07:22

Op your doing a fab job I'm sure, so don't worry. I think love is something that builds. I'm just exhausted constantly and pretty much barely have the energy for anything. I feel a bit of a failure because he's not sleeping well but he's happy, gainibg a lot of weight and length! ( In 3-6 month clothes already as tall) and only wakes to feed. I think we should cut ourselves some slack as new moms, it's hard and everyone seems to know better.

c24680 Sun 12-Aug-18 20:32:22

@bobstersmum I keep telling myself love grows but I just needed to hear it from someone else. Haha I'm sure your DD will make up for it in her teenage years 🙈

@inthekitchensink I think your right, I'd been managing on my own since hubby went back to work a month ago and I'd ran out if steam!

@Spanglyprincess1 Thank you, I'm doing the best I can. Don't be so hard on yourself either he will start sleeping through when he's ready to! The main thing is that he's happy, gaining weight and growing that's all that matters, sleep will come.

Being a new mom is definitely hard, it's a massive learning curve - they should come with a manual ha! But I do feel everyone is always ready to judge and hand out advice - even when it's not asked for!

GrainneWail Sun 12-Aug-18 20:47:03

Oh, Op, love really does grow. I hate the Disney idea that you're handed your baby and simultaneously hit with a bolt of love lightening. It's OK to feel like you do, and you'll be surprised how many other new mums feel likewise but are afraid to say it out loud. You obviously care enough to be worried so you and you baby will get there.

I remember with dd I suddenly got an unsuspecting rush of love in a 3am feed when she was about 10 weeks old. It was lovely and tbh, reassuring, but she is the love of my life and the rush only confirmed what I knew. I think I had been too tired and overwhelmed to know it before then. flowers

c24680 Sun 12-Aug-18 22:17:52

@GrainneWail your right I do care greatly for her, I dislike when she's passed around the room and when someone walks out of sight with her so the 'mummy bear' instincts are there. Im sure my moment of feeling that overwhelming love will come I just have to be patient!

It's so reassuring reading that I'm not alone in feeling like this so thanks again everyone for your comforting words and for sharing your experiences.

FranticallyPeaceful Mon 13-Aug-18 13:10:52

I had overwhelming love with DC2/DC3, it was absolutely massive and instant... but not with DC1.. but it grew instead and it’s incredibly strong now. In fact DC1 is probably my closest and always has been and likely will always be, I absolutely love him with everything now but when he was born? Nope. I thought I was broken

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: