Talk

Advanced search

Advice please - maternity notes and debrief

(7 Posts)
DrunkUnicorn Sun 11-Mar-18 07:24:04

Hi all - I plan to ask the hospital for my maternity notes and hopefully go over these with someone to understand my difficult birth experience.

I have been sent a form by the hospital that asks me to specify what notes I am asking for.

Does anyone here have any experience with such a request/ maternity 'debrief'? Please can someone tell me exactly what notes I should be asking for? I shall be paying the hospital for this, so I'd like to be sure I cover all the notes I need.

Also if you could please share any experience of actually going over the notes? Did it help at all? It's been 8 months and I am still upset over the way my labour was handled (to the extent I'm questioning if I want more babies in future) and I guess I want to understand if it was as bad as I remember, or whether there were any mitigating circumstances I wasn't aware of.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

DrunkUnicorn Sun 11-Mar-18 21:37:13

Bump - anyone?

Jellybabie3 Tue 13-Mar-18 16:03:31

Sorry OP I have no advice but I am watching this thread as at 5m PP I am wondering whether to do the same thing...

Goodluck I really hope it helps

Tyrannosaurusdrip Mon 19-Mar-18 13:36:14

Hi.
I had a difficult (not the worst by any means) birth with my daughter, emsc and she was in scbu for a while.
I asked my health visitor to refer me for a debrief with my consultant. Unfortunately although he had dealt with me during my pregnancy he hadn't been there the day I had her.
He went over all my maternity notes and the op note and also my daughters notes prior to meeting me. And he went through it all with me (all of it! Took a little while!) and told me what he would have done if he had been there. He was very thorough and I came away feeling better for having spoken to him.
I know I'll be keen to speak to him again though prior to getting pregnant again.
Not sure I can help in terms of which notes to request though, sorry.

DrunkUnicorn Mon 19-Mar-18 15:15:43

Thank you @Tyrannosaurusdrip, that is very helpful

LookImAHooman Fri 30-Mar-18 11:00:26

Might be too late but all you need to put is something like, ‘All available notes and documentation from labour and delivery of child born on [date].’ Tweak as needed if you want postnatal ward notes etc.

Tbh, I’ve had two sets from my Trust and both times they just sent everything from booking appt to postnatal ward discharge.

DrunkUnicorn Fri 30-Mar-18 20:21:41

Thank you @LookImAHooman

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: