Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Low milk supply

(16 Posts)
GrapesAreMyJam Wed 31-Jan-18 16:46:59

I have been expressing breast milk since DD was born as she was born with a low birth weight and was too small to latch on.

I've been expressing around 200ml per session, however today I've been lucky if I get to 80ml.

I've been really tired today and not eaten particularly well yesterday or today. Would that have an impact on milk supply?

DeadDoorpost Thu 01-Feb-18 00:20:14

Ive noticed the same with me, especially if I've not been drinking enough.

Mermaid36 Thu 01-Feb-18 00:25:24

Are you expressing enough times in 24hrs? Depending on DDs age, you may still need to do 8-10 sessions in 24hrs, with at least 1 between 2 and 4am.

You need to drink loads of water/juice and eat something (even if its chocolate/cake/junk food)

Proudmummy17 Thu 01-Feb-18 00:30:50

I'm expressing and sometimes my supply gets low, eat plenty drink plenty and get some sleep if poss, try not to stress as this doesn't help at all ( easier said than done I know ) when my supply gets low I pump every 2-3 hours and defo in the night too as I was told that during the night your body makes more milk also I drink fenugreek tea ( from the bran tub it's especially for nursing mummys) 3 times a day!! Congratulations on your little one xx

GrapesAreMyJam Thu 01-Feb-18 03:21:50

Wow, thanks for the advice everyone. I thought something was going wrong, but hopefully will have a better day.

DD is just over two weeks and I'm expressing generally every three to four hours

LuchiMangsho Thu 01-Feb-18 03:25:45

If she’s not latching at all and you are exclusively pumping then you need to express more frequently. You may get less per session but you will stimulate your supply more. At this age 3 hours was the MAXIMUM between breastfeeds. It was more like 90 mins to 2 hours. If she is latching then it’s fine.

Proudmummy17 Sat 03-Feb-18 11:50:30

grapesaremyjam how is your milk supply now?
Last few weeks i was really struggling and only getting enough for a feed, id pump and partner fed whilst i pumped the rest, things I tried...
- not to get too stressed!! ( easier said than done )
- making sure I pump in the night
- eat and drink plenty even if I didn't feel like it
- pumped every 2-3 hours
- drank fenugreek tea 3x a day
- don't give up
I now have a good supply backed up in the fridge 18 oz which is 3 and a half feeds for my lo. Xx

GrapesAreMyJam Sat 03-Feb-18 12:08:53

It appears to have improved a little. I've started taking fenugreek supplements as well. My main problem is getting really stressed

Proudmummy17 Sat 03-Feb-18 13:44:53

Are you getting stressed around feeding lo or is it other Stress? Xx

GrapesAreMyJam Sat 03-Feb-18 16:56:20

Most definitely stress regarding feeding her. I'm stressing about supplying enough milk for her. It seems to be improving slowly

BertrandRussell Sat 03-Feb-18 16:57:46

Have you tried latching her on again now she's bigger?

GrapesAreMyJam Sat 03-Feb-18 17:10:49

I try before each feed is due, she's managed it about four times since she was born (she's three weeks tomorrow). So we're getting there!

BertrandRussell Sat 03-Feb-18 19:03:07

Can I suggest you try every time she so much as squeaks?

Situp Sat 03-Feb-18 19:07:44

I have been given magnesium supplements and fennel tea to improve my supply and it has been much better with this baby than first 2. Obviously check with HV first x

Proudmummy17 Tue 06-Feb-18 22:45:35

How you getting on grapesaremyjam? one way I looked at it even though I sat in tears over it was if she has to have a few formula feeds whilst I get my milk back up at least she'll be fed and happy that helped with my stress!! Xx

GrapesAreMyJam Wed 07-Feb-18 14:29:11

Getting on better thanks! I've been taking fenugreek as a supplement which seems to have improved things. She's managing to latch on a couple of times a day, but have been using formula as a back up so the stress of me not producing enough has gone which really helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now