Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Grade 3 tear and episiotomy- advice

(5 Posts)
JES12 Mon 18-Dec-17 21:07:19

Hi all, I had my baby 9 weeks ago and suffered a grade 3 year and had an episiotomy. The episiotomy has healed but I am still having pain when passing a bowl motion. Am I expecting too much too soon?

I have mentioned this to my GP numerous times who has said that she can see cuts but doesn’t seem too phased by it. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced the same? If so how long did you take to fully heal? Thanks xxxxxx

LavenderJamMyArse Mon 18-Dec-17 21:58:00

Have you got a physio appointment? I don’t know about the pain, but I think you should have been referred to a gynae physio with a 3rd degree tear. I seem to remember the appt took a while to come through for me, but I would definitely chase it up and either ask for a referral/ask for it to be expedited, or go private. Also I’m sure they gave me a phone number for the gynae staff too so I could ring if I had any problems like you’re mentioning.

JES12 Mon 18-Dec-17 22:14:40

Thanks for the advice. I have a physio app for early Jan. I’ll be really honest, I didn’t pay much attention as I have been so busy with my little one. I’m going to call up tomorrow and also ring my private healthcare provider. Thanks again x

JES12 Mon 18-Dec-17 22:15:14

Ps it would definitely hurt passing a bowl 😜

tmc14 Tue 19-Dec-17 09:57:22

Hi, my DS is 2 weeks & 5 days old, I had an episiotomy & 3rd degree tear. I’m not sure if I’m just incredibly lucky, & had an amazing person stitch me up, but I’ve been off all painkillers since day 10 and, whilst I’m still nervous of opening my bowels, it doesn’t hurt. I know other people get pain for longer but I’d chase the Dr if I were you. Even if prolonged pain is common, its not always the case so I’d ask for extra checks/help. Good luck, these injuries are really hard going!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: