Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

What to buy if I plan on ebf? Confused

(23 Posts)
JellyBean89 Mon 04-Dec-17 11:31:39

Hi,
I am due in about 9 weeks and plan to ebf or pump if it doesn’t work. I tried reading around but got so confused, so I just have a few questions.

Did you buy a pump and start pumping straight away?
Did you take sterilised bottles with you to the hospital in case baby wouldn’t latch on?
Did you take formula with you in case you couldn’t bf?

A lot of the bottle/steriliser kits are currently on sale, but I’m not sure if I should buy it just in case. If I don’t use them It will be a substantial amount of money wasted.

icklekid Mon 04-Dec-17 11:35:49

No don't buy anything would be my recommendation however the hospital I gave birth in had pumps and formula if were desperately in need.

I would seek bf advice get in contact with LLL or similar in your area. Have contact numbers of people you can phone to support if you are struggling. Find out what is and isn't normal for newborn babies breastfeeding e.g. cluster feeding.

Good luck!

Ecureuil Mon 04-Dec-17 11:36:07

I didn’t buy formula or bottles, or a pump initially. I figured if I needed them, loads of supermarkets are 24 hours.
I bought a pump at around 6 weeks but neither of mine would ever take a bottle so it was pretty pointless!
It’s up to you, if you feel you’d be happier knowing it’s there in the cupboard then go for it.

Chaosofcalm Mon 04-Dec-17 11:39:28

Breast feeding cushion, maternity bras, the nipple cream in the purple tube, subscription to net flicks and a kindle.

Chaosofcalm Mon 04-Dec-17 11:39:47

Breast pads

Goatgirly Mon 04-Dec-17 11:41:09

Breast pads, lansinoh and Netflix.

Ecureuil Mon 04-Dec-17 11:45:42

Definitely lansinoh

Lovelilies Mon 04-Dec-17 12:41:45

They say if you buy bottles 'just in case' you are less likely to succeed in BF.

LexieLulu Mon 04-Dec-17 12:50:46

You don't need a pump straight away as you want your breasts to develops milk to your child's needs.

I'd get breast pads, nipple cream and nipple shields.

Nipple shields for me, were a life saver and the only way I was able to continue past the initial painful stages. You might not need them but they cost hardly anything so get them just in case

blue2014 Mon 04-Dec-17 12:52:36

I bought a pump but didn't use it until 8 weeks and then have only used it 5 times in a year. Wait til Baby is here and you'll have a better idea of what you need

DS wouldn't latch the first day, I was terrified and ran out to buy formula (at which point he latchedhmm) but it's worth knowing you can buy pre made up formula from aptimal is little bottles just in case you really really need it.

My Hospital had formula and bottles to give the babies (DS had some of the first night, I'd slept about 3 hours in 5 days and just physically couldn't stay awake after the birth so they fed him the first night, he's 1 this week and still BF so I don't regret that at all)

YesILikeItToo Mon 04-Dec-17 12:59:32

I did need a pump in the first week or so, but you may well not. I had one, but if I hadn’t I cannot imagine how I’d have researched and chosen one at that point, I could barely understand the instruction manuals for the kit I did have. I would recommend knowing what stuff you would want if you needed it, but not actually buying it.

IamPickleRick Mon 04-Dec-17 12:59:46

I used my medela pretty regularly straight off, because I knew from previous babies that I have an undersupply issue (my kids are always super sleepy for the first few weeks) and I wanted to start a store. I never got engorged or had an oversupply issue but if this is your first baby I suppose you don't know what will happen. I'd get the pump just in case really as I was desperate for mine and had to send a friend out (c section so couldn't drive)

Boots are the best breast pads I think
Lansinoh
A really good nursing bra and lots of them

user1493413286 Mon 04-Dec-17 12:59:57

I think it depends what kind of person you are; I bought bottles and a steriliser as I worried about being desperate in the middle of the night and needing it. In reality it wouldn’t have been as simple as just using it but it made me feel less anxious and I never used it while breastfeeding. I also knew that I would want my baby to take a bottle at some stage so I’d make use of it. I breastfeed for 6 months and did one bottle a day from 6 weeks so it made sense for us.
I wouldn’t get a pump though as you may not need it and you can get one when you do. I would also say get breast pads and nipple cream. I didn’t buy a breastfeeding pillow but used a long rectangular one I had so it depends what you’ve got at home

IamPickleRick Mon 04-Dec-17 13:03:02

You could compromise and get a small hand pump rather than the big medela type ones and then see how you go?

sleepycat13 Tue 05-Dec-17 09:12:52

I agree it depends what sort of person you are. if you find it reassuring to have bottles etc as a just incase then that's ok. For me I felt that having bottles in would reduce my chances of continuing with bf and I was happy knowing that if things got really bad I could just send dh to the shops.

ds struggled to latch initially in hospital so first few feeds were given by syringe by midwife after helping me hand express.
he eventually managed to latch so I went home with view of giving bf a go.

I did buy a medela swing electric pump before ds arrived but got it second hand with several bottles and was given a second hand sterliser too. I was planning on waiting til about 6 weeks before expressing due to fears of nipple confusion but actually started around the two week mark following a couple of days of 24-7 feeding to give me a bit of a break. ds now 9 weeks and we are doing a bottle a day of expressed milk before bed. it's been very hard at times but I have tried to take each feed as it comes knowing I can get formula from shop if needed.

agree re lansinoh cream!!
breast pads (although didn't really need these for a few weeks)
and snacks/drinks and entertainment

RestingGrinchFace Tue 05-Dec-17 09:15:14

The hospital will have all pumping/formula feeding apparatus on hand and you will have time for your OH to go and buy sone stuff before you get back from the hospital if need be. You can always buy the stuff and keep it in the packaging/keep the receipt to return if it transpires that you don't need it but that is a lot of faff with a new born.

HebeMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 05-Dec-17 09:26:15

I wouldn't buy a pump just yet. You probably want to leave it until about week six so your supply is properly established and the baby doesn't get confused by an array of 'servingware' on offer. wink Mind you, plenty of people mix bottles and breast from the start with no problems, too... I'd maybe buy one bottle and a bottle of Milton for peace of mind and you can always hand express. Then, if you decide to use bottles later, or a pump, you can always get them then. I remember having genuinely forgotten that the shops would remain open after my due date ! In my mind it was like Christmas and you had to lay in enough of everything for a siege, but your partner can always pop out for stuff and the hospital will be able to help with anything you need when you're there I'd think.

BertrandRussell Tue 05-Dec-17 09:32:10

A V-pillow and several spare pillow cases (just as good as an official breastfeeding pillow and much cheaper. Argos have good ones) Loads of muslin squares.

You really don't need anything else. And I really, really wouldn't think about expressing yet. One thing at a time. 0h, and Kellymom.com in Favourites on your phone!

ijustwannadance Tue 05-Dec-17 09:45:15

I've bought a box of the ready to use bottles with pre sterilised teats (around £7 for 6) to put in my hospital bag just in case.

Not a great loss if not needed but my hospital have no spare bottles, formula or bottle making facilities so needed a back up plan.

boredofmyoldname Tue 05-Dec-17 09:53:31

I bought a v-cushion, tube of Lansinoh and a pack of Little Lamb washable breast pads beforehand.

Our hospital will only let you use their pre-made formula which they supplied in small glass bottles as there weren't enough facilities to ensure that everyone could make fresh feeds as often as needed.

You can use a lidded tub and sterilising fluid/tablets if you wanted rather than a big sterilising kit, maybe just buy a pump and some small bottles around 6 weeks if you wanted to go down that route.

Smarshian Tue 05-Dec-17 10:02:35

I didn't buy a pump until about 6 weeks. I wouldn't bother until later as you might not need it. Definitely get Lansinoh, a couple of good nursing bras were good for me, and a good v pillow. Also found having a water bottle near by very helpful - so if you want to treat yourself to a nice one (that you can open with one hand(!))

JellyBean89 Thu 07-Dec-17 23:12:15

Thank you so much for all the answers. I will hold off on buying the pump and bottles, but I will have a look around and decide what I want in case I have to send DH out for it. I have stocked up on breast pads as Boots was having 3for2, lansinoh cream, muslin squares and will get some nursing bras. I’ll thibk about packing a ready made formula bottle too but I do honestly believe that if I know I have the option I’ll just use it and give up hmm

weegiemum Thu 07-Dec-17 23:29:25

I bought nothing, though got a pump at about 6 weeks - managed fine with an Avent hand pump. We never sterilised, just washed stuff in the top of the dishwasher (I had a wee plastic basket to put the small parts in).

My thinking was like yours - I was determined to bf and yet I knew if I had an alternative I would use it. It was ok and dd1 will be 18 soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now