Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

My hair is falling out!

(9 Posts)
ELIXZATHAI Mon 16-Oct-17 23:44:34

So I’ve read up and been told that after giving birth some women do tend to suffer from hair loss. BUT from what I know it usually starts around three months and finishes by six or so. My boy turned seven months last week and I’ve only just started shedding hair, I’m really worried.

Has this happened to anyone else??

vlooby Mon 16-Oct-17 23:46:53

Yes. Mine started at about 6.5 months. I'm assured it's perfectly normal, which doesn't make it less yuck!

ELIXZATHAI Tue 17-Oct-17 00:14:46

Thank you for replying so quick vlooby! It was so scary because it’s only the back of my head too. One brush and so much would come out 😩

vlooby Tue 17-Oct-17 07:02:00

I'm the same, in the shower if I put my fingers through my hair they come out full of strands. My hairdresser said it's actually extra hair falling out and you might notice more fine new baby hair....

EvilCleverDog Tue 17-Oct-17 07:05:39

Mine is coming out in clumps - I'm 17 weeks postnatal and it's been happening for about 5 weeks. I'm checking constantly for bald patches.

Apparently you normally shed 100 hairs a day but during pregnancy you don't shed any, so it's just the extra falling out.

My friend said she took folic acid and it stopped it but don't know if theirs any truth in that.

gamerchick Tue 17-Oct-17 07:14:57

That’s about right. Hair is stupid, it takes 3 months to realise you’ve had a stomach bug and drops out in disgust.

It’s one of the most irritating parts of having babies, little piles of hair everywhere. Then there’s that itchy spiky stage to look forward to as it grows back angry

MiniTheMinx Tue 17-Oct-17 07:39:34

Mine are 12 and 16 now but remember this like it was yesterday, I was very anxious over it.

Yes to folic acid, iron supplements, fish oils and nourkrin.

I've found since that my hair grows in 6m cycles. So twice a year my hair will grow really thick, but it then thins out a bit again. Never noticed this before having DC's.

RhonaRugMuncherr Tue 17-Oct-17 07:44:26

Mine was particularly bad between 6-9 months post partum. My 'pet'attachment brush on the vacuum actually got blocked with all of my hair that I was vacuuming up!!!

lightcola Tue 17-Oct-17 08:06:21

I stupidly got my hair highlighted 3 months postpartum and of course most of it fell out. It's grown back to its usual thickness now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now