Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Post partum constipation?

(6 Posts)
LillyBugg Thu 08-Jun-17 05:58:49

Oh god the joys of post partum health sad

I wasn't constipated during pregnancy, by some miracle, but from Monday which was day 9 post partum I've had awful stomach ache. Trouble going to the toilet, it aches all around everywhere down below really. I had a second degree tear so it's hard to know what's being caused by that or if it's constipation. When I wee that hurts too, like an ache all through my muscles, and I have to really squeeze to get the wee out. Does this sound like constipation? I have been having a Bowel movement every day but not with ease. I've been taking lactulose and I've been drinking loads of water.

The stomach cramps and general ache in my bottom are waking me up, when the baby is asleep!! I just want to feel better sad

picklemepopcorn Thu 08-Jun-17 06:42:17

Might be worth getting checked out just in case. Are you still under midwife? It could all be very inflamed still. Frozen peas to reduce the swelling.

In terms of diet- flax seeds, chia seeds, prunes will all help!
Other people swear by a cooked breakfast and strong coffee...though caffeine not a great idea if you are breastfeeding, possibly.

lightcola Thu 08-Jun-17 06:52:32

Get a tin of prunes and stick them on some bran flakes. Worked wonders for me.

Mouthfulofquiz Thu 08-Jun-17 06:53:00

Get someone to get you a big bottle of lactulose from a pharmacy. Worked well for me :-)

LillyBugg Thu 08-Jun-17 10:02:51

I've got the midwife tomorrow so will definitely discuss then. I'm already on the lactulose. I'm allowing myself one cup of coffee a day so I've had that. Currently sharing prunes and apricots with the toddler who is having the same issue!! I'm also trying to massively up my water in take. I just hope it is constipation and nothing more sinister. Maybe I'm just being too hopeful about my recovery, but I was managing to go to the toilet in the week after birth fairly comfortably, it's only now that it's really hurting.

smellsofelderberries Thu 08-Jun-17 13:20:22

You must must must get on top of this. Straight after delivery your pelvic floor will be compromised and constipation will not be good. Some good probiotics, ground flaxseed mixed through natural yoghurt with some stewed pears/prunes and lots of water. I would get something that helps draw water into the stool rather than lactulose. There are lots of breastfeeding safe options, quick chat to a pharmacist and they will give you what you need.
If you're so inclined, a nice strong coffee can be helpful (and is safe when BFing too!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now