Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Bleeding post surgery for retained placenta

(5 Posts)
withoutaname Tue 30-May-17 22:30:13

I had surgery 1 week ago for a piece of retained placenta (3 weeks postpartum). I'm still having bright red bleeding. Does anyone know if this normal and how long the bleeding will last. Thanks

Fernanie Tue 30-May-17 22:36:58

The bleeding can last for up to 6 weeks I think. My midwife told me the most important thing was that it was gradually getting lighter (in volume) and that I wasn't passing clots bigger than a 20p piece. Don't know if it's the same after placenta removal surgery though. Can you call your maternity unit if you're worried?

Birdofathousandvoices Tue 30-May-17 22:41:47

It's like resetting the clock for postnatal bleeding so up to another 5 weeks. I think I cried when I was told that...last thing you need if you've have bleeding/haemorrhage due to retained products flowers

withoutaname Tue 30-May-17 22:46:53

Thanks. My bleeding had pretty much stopped and then I haemorrhaged and retained placenta was found so I wasn't expecting much bleeding now I've had surgery. Sounds like its normal then for bleeding to have restarted. I'm just being a bit paranoid as worrying about having another big bleed.

Birdofathousandvoices Tue 30-May-17 22:53:39

I remember it well. Don't be frightened to ask medical professionals though, paranoia or not - once you've been through that it's not surprising you'd want reassurance. I found the anxiety related to the bleeding far more difficult than the physical issues.

Take care of yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now