Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Congested at12 Wks won't eat or sleep

(4 Posts)
DinosaursArentMakeBelieve Sat 13-May-17 07:46:50

Hi, I have an exclusively breastfed 12wo who has become really congested. So much so that he can't eat as he can't breath and won't sleep.

I've tried the suction thing (can't remember the name of it) and also saline solution: breast milk but it all just upsets him more and nothing seems to budge. I can't actually see any snot but I can hear it!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
TIA

JustMyLuckUnfortunately Sat 13-May-17 07:59:09

If it's that bad have you taken him to your GP? My DS had lots of colds around that age but he would still eat/breathe/sleep. Is he still producing lots of wet & dirty nappies as it's very important they do, if not you need to get immediate care.

My DS didn't like saline drops but I found Calpol plugs and snuggle baby helpful (check the age for both). I also used lots of steam therapy so run the shower very hot so your bathroom is full of steam and take DC in for a few minutes to unblock his nose. During bad colds I would do that a few times a day

HumpHumpWhale Sat 13-May-17 08:14:26

Try turning on the shower as hot as it will go to get the bathroom really steamy and sitting in there for a bit, then see if baby will take a breastfeed in there. You might have to hold him semi upright to get him to sleep, I did with my first baby's first cold. Try propping yourself up on pillows with pillows under your arms too so you can't move even if you doze off briefly. Good luck!

IncyWincySpiderOnRepeat Sun 14-May-17 22:25:03

We found the calpol plug-ins to be brilliant... Not only did they help to clear the congestion but I think they also have something in them which helps to calm the little one down. Check the age limit though as I can't remember what this is. Hope your little one gets better quickly!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now