We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Irregular Postnatal Periods

(3 Posts)
Adunni Thu 11-May-17 15:13:43

Last month I had my first period since having DS (12m). I'm still breastfeeding regularly so wasn't expecting it just yet, but hey ho. Goodbye, twenty-two blissful months of no $%^&ing periods!

It was pretty standard - lasted about 7 days, heavy-ish, some nasty cramps.

Fast-forward to this month, and I'm about a week overdue for another one. I've done a pregnancy test just to be safe (negative) and will probably do another in a week if it still hasn't started. I've been having painful cramps and feeling sensitive and grouchy all week so am surprised it hasn't shown up yet. The waiting wouldn't bother me but I feel like it's going to suddenly descend on me at an inopportune moment, plus of course the pregnancy anxiety.

Were your periods irregular when they first returned? How long did it last? Is there anything I can do to encourage a regular cycle?

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Thu 11-May-17 15:18:50

Yes. After all 4 they've been pretty unpredictable for the first 4-6 periods before eventually settling in to the normal (for me) 29-33 days. Other than going on the pill I'm not sure if there's anything that can help you with the regularity.

KatyN Fri 26-May-17 22:02:28

Mine went scatty after my second child (she is a she and the first is a he if that makes any difference). I wouldn go over every couple of months.. just often enough to freak me right out that I might be pregnant.
I ended up having a hysterectomy so not sure how long it would have taken to sort itself out. K

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now