Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

How soon can you have a period after labour?

(3 Posts)
Kathryn160417 Tue 09-May-17 02:42:03

Hi,

I am 3 weeks postpartum and my bleeding has returned as heavy as a normal period(for me that isn't an excessive amount) and is very bright red. It has basically stopped.
However I have read that your first period is usually 5 - 6 weeks after?? So could this be my period? I'm only wondering as it is a few weeks early and wanting to make sure nothing is wrong. Did anyone else get theirs so early??

Bubbinsmakesthree Tue 09-May-17 05:40:02

My bleeding stopped and then came back with another round of fresh blood after about 2 weeks - heard from a number of people that the same happened to them.

I think it can vary a lot as to when your periods return - if you're breastfeeding then it's common for them not to return as long as you are still feeding regularly.

At this stage I would think it's just more lochia not a period.

spacefrog35 Tue 09-May-17 06:02:37

Lochia can stop and start especially if you overdo things so it's not necessarily your period. Definitely have a chat with your HV if you're concerned but I doubt it's anything to worry about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now