Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Angry about lack of info re c-section recovery

(15 Posts)
Bella1985 Mon 27-Mar-17 11:10:04

I'm 12 weeks pp and want to start exercising. I've been walking a lot and feel good but am overweight and want to do something positive about it - I really want to do some HIIT sessions but these are physically demanding and my stomach is probably not ready yet...

What makes me cross is that there's no advice out there (please point me towards it if you've had any) about how much exercise to do and how to slowly increase it.

I had an emcs and starting to feel so abandoned now that I'm starting to feel a bit more normal in myself "don't do anything for 6 weeks" is all good, but what then?! Has anyone received good advice on how to slowly build up your muscles without causing damage?

LoveMyLittleSuperhero Mon 27-Mar-17 11:18:14

I was recommended after mine that swimming was the best excersize I could do once mu wound was healed. Other than that they said to start out with walking, slowly building up the speed till I was running and that once I could run comfortably then I should be fine to do most other exercises.
You should have had an eight week check, as long as your wound is ok and healed nicely you are ok to swim but if you didn't get a check then do pop to the GP before getting in a pool.
Also our local gym have post birth sessions, the trainers are all aware what you can/can't do after different types of births, could it be worth seeing if your local does this sort of service too?

Bella1985 Mon 27-Mar-17 17:25:42

My gp surgery said they don't 'do' the 8 week check. confused So I just showed my wound to the gp that checked DS during his 8 week appointment and he said it was fine yet had no other info other than walking is good.

The gym trainers are a good idea thanks, not really a swimmer, so will look down that avenue.

raviolidreaming Mon 27-Mar-17 19:26:17

I'm coming up to 6 weeks and agree with you entirely. They go on about how it's major abdominal surgery and then just leave you to work out recovery for yourself. I'm desperate to get back to exercising but don't want to do myself an injury. The information available online is vague at best and probably anecdotal at worst.

Bella1985 Tue 28-Mar-17 00:08:20

It's a bit shit isn't it ravioli - any other kind of surgery would have aftercare and physio plans! I didn't even get a leaflet with info angry

talulahbelle Tue 28-Mar-17 00:11:29

Pilates is great exercise for core strength and c-sec recovery. We've got a local studio with some great instructors, I'll be going back there after my second section.

JoMalones Tue 28-Mar-17 00:12:03

It would be worth seeing if there was a local physio who did the "Mummy MOT". My physiotherapist has been amazing at helping with scar mobilisation and healing the separation. There are also some fitness classes in my area focussed at new mothers and they help to build and repair (mother and baby yoga, buggyfit, mother and baby exercise classes)

Bella1985 Tue 28-Mar-17 07:23:47

I've just googled physio for c section and a bit more information has come up that seems more useful. Will need to find a physio in my area. Some of the fitness classes for mums in my area have been intense (other c section ladies at a bf group have been and warned us) so I haven't ventured as I'm frightened of damaging myself. I guess 12 weeks pp is a sensible time to start trying them.

megletthesecond Tue 28-Mar-17 07:31:05

I was very fit pre Emcs but I took it very easy when I went back to the gym at 12 weeks. The Hiit class wouldn't be a good idea. IIRC I started running when ds was 5 months and I was still a little tender.

Post cs care is indeed crap. A midwife told me the same in my birth debrief. I had to wing it tbh.

mimiholls Tue 28-Mar-17 13:03:13

I agree Pilates is very good and you will find a postnatal class with an instructor who's trained in this area. Thr main thing that needs checking is muscle separation before you do any core ab exercise but that is the same for any kind of birth. Other than that you can do any type of aerobic exercise you like, I would just listen to your body and don't overdo it. Anything you were doing before? Walking is good too!

eurochick Tue 28-Mar-17 13:22:18

My consultant said to me no exercise for 6 weeks, no ab exercises for 12 weeks. Bear in mind that was for me - small baby, small incision, healed well. I can't say if it would be applicable to all. However ever after 12 weeks exercise felt "wrong". Gentle post natal Pilates was all that felt ok. And I was a regular runner and gym goer pre pregnancy.

bibbitybobbityyhat Tue 28-Mar-17 13:26:09

Why did you cross out the words "please point me towards it if you've had any" ?

MyschoolMyrules Tue 28-Mar-17 13:29:24

Could you do more gentle exercises for another 4 weeks, instead of going straight to HItT? Start with fast walking, swimming, and gradually start post natal Pilates. Then after another 4 weeks you can reconsider depending on how you feel.

Loraline Tue 28-Mar-17 13:36:25

Check out the Mumhood programs online. They do a phase 1 post- natal that includes gentle core rehab as well as 30 min workouts then a Phase 2 which is more demanding. There's a general fitness program for later on. Good value for 4 months access and they send you equipment you need (pilates ball and resistence bands). I'd highly recommend.

www.mum-hood.com

Bella1985 Tue 28-Mar-17 17:38:13

bibbity it was meant to be italic but I ended up striking through blush

Pilates seems to be coming up quite a bit, never tried it, I was more of a zumba and gym type person before pregnancy but I did enjoy pregnancy yoga so I could give yoga and pilates a try. I want to avoid paying for a gym membership due to being on maternity pay and wanting to take the full year off so need to save as much as possible for the final unpaid part of the leave.

Will take a look at the link loraline thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now