Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Dummy and nipple confusion

(9 Posts)
Constructionbook Sat 25-Mar-17 20:41:23

Has anyone found introducing a dummy to EBF newborn causes nipple confusion or other feeding issues?

Does it actually happen or is it a BF myth?

wholikestoboogie Sun 26-Mar-17 08:04:51

Hmmm I think it's a BIT of a myth, I waited till about 5 weeks with my pfb but will give one much earlier with my next I think. I'll also be giving a bottle much earlier.

ElspethFlashman Sun 26-Mar-17 08:08:06

Myth!

bumblingmum Sun 26-Mar-17 08:21:26

Didn't confuse mine. She had dummy from about 4 weeks. I ebf until 5 months when I started formula. No problems

usefultoken Sun 26-Mar-17 08:28:00

Myth. I gave ds a dummy at 2 days. Even at that point he was able to tell that milk came out of one and not the other grin

Sm031986 Sun 26-Mar-17 08:41:51

My wee one has had a dummy since about 5 days old & he knows exactly where his milk comes from!!

raviolidreaming Sun 26-Mar-17 20:33:04

My health visitor said the concern is that feeding cues can be missed if babies have a dummy in - but as mine will spit the dummy out and scream, it's not really a problem for us!

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Sun 26-Mar-17 20:35:05

Ds born at 35 weeks had one at a week old. Bf no problem til 9 months. .
Only has his dummy for bed since a year old (now 2.6).

Yourmuma1986 Mon 27-Mar-17 22:55:48

It's not a myth but it's very rare.
I breast fed my dd and she had a dummy pretty much straight away because she was clearly a sucker. Rather a dummy than a thumb.
She also had pumped milk from a bottle because she took a while to get a hang of it on the breast we have been breast feeding 11 months now. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now