Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Is it possible to suffer with pnd 2.5 years after baby is born.

(5 Posts)
foSho Sat 11-Mar-17 22:56:23

I didn't have pnd during the first year of her life that I'm aware of. I'm not sure when this began but I have realised that I am definitely depressed. Is it pnd or just plain old depression? I am struggling to feel connected with my dd, of course I love her. I have been feeling this way for quite a long time I think. I don't know how long though, I can't remember. I know I am getting worse though. I have no plans of killing myself or anything like that. I am not a danger to my child, not physically, though I worry that one day she will notice I am like this... I try not to show it. Sorry if message is a bit all over the place. Anyway, it's the feeling of disconnect with my dd that makes me wonder if this could be pnd, but I don't know.

TolpuddleFarterOATB Sat 11-Mar-17 23:02:13

I read somewhere that a study showed that most PND happens approximately four years after a child's birth.

Mine came on when my youngest was three. Went to the doctor and got help. I feel better now!

foSho Sat 11-Mar-17 23:08:45

That's interesting Tol. I'm glad you feel better. I thought it had to be during the first year. I sort of feel like people would laugh at me if I said I had pnd now she's a toddler. What kind of help did your gp provide?

TwoDogs9 Wed 22-Mar-17 01:31:52

Hi, sorry I can't provide any advice but just wanted to ask if you had BF as this can sometimes delay the start of PND until baby is weaned. So yes it can be delayed. I know of someone who developed PN psychosis after their DC stopped BF and had been fine until then. Hope you get some help.

Pallisers Wed 22-Mar-17 02:37:23

I hope this doesn't sound in any way unhelpful - but does it matter whether it is phd or "regular" depression? I don't know if there is such a thing as regular depression anyway - it is an illness that is very tailored to each person.

So you could have a delayed PND, or you could now be depressed, or could be finding the toddler years hard and that could be triggering something.

All that matters is that you feel the way you feel. You don't need to find an explanation. But you are entitled to help.

If it is any help, DH and I were just fine through all the early stages - but I can tell you the teen years have certainly triggered anxiety and - well maybe not depression - but need for therapy for us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now