Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Tongue Tie One Year Old, Surgery

(4 Posts)
Leighanne30 Sat 11-Mar-17 14:25:24

My now one year old was born with a significant tongue tie which no one, not one health visitor, midwife, doctor, managed to notice. Breast feeding was horrifically upsetting and in the end after three weeks of not latching and a huge weight loss in my daughter, I turned to formula. I had never heard of tongue tie and so I had no idea this was the reason my baby couldn't latch on, and none of the health care professionals even mentioned it.
When we began weaning I noticed it, and after going to the doctor and finally getting referred to an ENT surgeon, he confirmed she does have a significant tie. Now, here is my concern and dilemma. He said that because of her age, general anaesthetic is not practiced. Therefore, he would cut the tie without any just as you would with a newborn. This makes me so so nervous and uoset about the pain it will cause my daughter. My question to all of you other lovely parents is, have any of you got any experience with tongue tie at this age, specifically going through having it cut without anaesthetic? Thank you

Mumchatting Fri 17-Mar-17 16:57:50

There used to be and probably still is a tongue tie facebook group for UK. Lots of helpful advise.
I would also imagine they do general anaesthesia at this age but maybe I'm wrong.

BoBaraMoMara Fri 17-Mar-17 17:00:45

He is wrong about GA. one of my DS had tongue tie cut under GA when he was 11 months old. It only takes about 2 minutes to do the procedure, it's a short GA!

Get another opinion.

We had ours done on private health insurance so not sure if that made a difference re the GA.

Leighanne30 Sat 18-Mar-17 07:47:17

Yes we are also going through our provate medical insurance. He advised that although GA is possible it was avoided at all costs at their age due to possible complications. He said doctors do not like to do GA unless it is necessary. It seems to be one of those subjects where every doctor has a different opinion though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now