Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Is this PND?

(3 Posts)
LadyInBakery Sat 11-Mar-17 07:29:06

Hello, posting here as I don't know what to do. My baby was born 2 weeks ago after what I thought was an ok but not perfect birth (constant monitoring, epidural, bad tear) and now I'm struggling to feed. I'm crying every day because I'm not enjoying being a mum at all. Feels like a constant cycle of trying to breastfeeding, which really hurts, nappy change, shove chocolate in my mouth, then start again. I'm letting my baby girl and my husband down and I'm starting to think they would be better off without me. I've tried lactation consultants and breastfeeding groups but it's not helping. Will things get better? What can I do?

Bex134 Fri 17-Mar-17 05:41:47

Yes things will get better. Overwhelmed is the word I use when looking back to the first few weeks. I found all the advice I was given was its all trial and error which was probably true but at that time you need some definite answers.

Check your latch with baby as this is the most comm reason for being sore, rub breast milk into your nipple let it dry then slather a load of lansinoh cream on. Try eating a variety of things- bananas, porridge, toast, sarnies etc to fuel your body during this demanding time. You don't mention sleep but I'm guessing you could do with more of that too? Accept for now this is what it is and have faith it all gets better (easy to say, very hard to hear and believe- but honestly it does). Break each day down and try to get out for a short walk, pop to supermarket to browse, see family - whatever feels achievable.

You are totally doing a good job- the fact you're worrying about what's happening demonstrates this. Being a mum is one if the hardest things I've ever done (my little one is 8 weeks so still early days). I felt like people didn't need me too- please talk to people about how you feel. Don't worry about whether you have pnd at this point just talk about how you feel. It is a constant cycle of feed sleep nappy this will start to change soon when baby is awake longer.

Fattynoms02 Fri 17-Mar-17 05:56:43

Have you had your baby checked for tongue tie? My baby had this and the only way I can describe the pain was like having broken glass on my nipples!! After getting her tongue fixed, things improved loads.

And I promise you that you are doing a good job. I found that It's just so overwhelming and it's hard to think straight with sleep deprivation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now