Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

First period after baby help

(3 Posts)
pyjamapyjama Thu 23-Feb-17 22:37:43

I had my baby boy 4 weeks ago, and have had on and off lochia since. I had really heavy bleeding, infection and passed a piece of leftover membrane whilst in hospital so had to stay in a few extra nights, but since then no more big clots or more pieces of membrane.

But 2 days ago i started bleeding really heavy fresh red blood, 1-2 pads an hour. It was worse when i stood up or sat down, and this morning (tmi) I passed 3 massive blood clots at once, all about the length of my finger. I went to MAU and they gave me a scan to rule out any more retained product, but it was all clear so the doctor came to the conclusion that it's my first period after baby

He's my first baby so I don't know much about postnatal stuff but I wasnt expecting my first period to be so bad/so soon!! Its really awful and if I dont change a pad at least every 45 mins or so then it soaks right through to my clothes. Is there anything I can do to slow down the bleeding?

Littlelegs19 Sun 26-Feb-17 01:59:20

I had my first period 6 weeks after having DS and it was extremely heavy and was just as you've described. I now know that level of bleeding and changing pads as often wasn't/isn't ok. To be soaking through one an hour is too heavy. I didn't do anything about it but I'd advise you to call 111 or your HV for advise. flowers

flumpybear Sun 26-Feb-17 02:02:34

I agree with above. I had heavy bleeding after my second, went to hospital as 111 said to, they gave me tranexamic acid to help with the heavy bleeding then I had a Mirena coil fitted mid cycle by GP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now