Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

postpartum hernia - any mum

(8 Posts)
flyingpinkrabbit Fri 03-Feb-17 20:15:37

It's been 5 months since the birth of DD, my belly button is not yet going down. The doctor has confirmed that I have hernia which needs to be surgically repairedsad

Has any mum experienced this?

hippoesque Fri 03-Feb-17 20:16:45

Yes I had an umbilical hernia repaired. It was a bit uncomfortable for a while after the procedure but not too bad at all.

flyingpinkrabbit Sun 05-Feb-17 09:21:46

Thanks for the reply. How was the operation like? Was it a keyhole operation or normal one? How is the scar like? Were you able to look after the baby straight after the baby? How is your recovery now? Hope you are much better. I have so many questions I guess and am uncertain if I shall go ahead with the operation, I need to look after the baby after all and very scared of having GA or epidural

hippoesque Mon 06-Feb-17 09:10:59

I was a day patient, operation under GA. It was supposed to be a keyhole procedure through my belly button but they had to come in through the side as it was harder to get to than originally expected. So I have a scar in my naval that I can't see and a 2in scar to the side. Very small and hardly noticeable.

I spent nearly a week in the spare room on serious pain killers from the hospital. It is still abdominal surgery even if it's a small issue so be prepared to rest for a while. I couldn't pick up my then 6 month old for about a week but once I started to feel stronger it was no time at all before I was back to family life.

flyingpinkrabbit Mon 06-Feb-17 09:34:04

Hope you're are much better now. Did you do privately or with NHS? Im seeing the consultant this week, hopefully will find out more. The things I'm very concerned about is how to look after the baby and if I'm done with having more children.

hippoesque Mon 06-Feb-17 10:03:12

On the NHS. I had one because I had diastis recti, my stomach walk muscles had split and the hernia came after I had my first. I didn't have it fixed until after my second and went on to have a third. They were all very big babies as well.
It's been fine ever since smile

flyingpinkrabbit Mon 06-Feb-17 12:35:56

How was it like when you're pregnant with the second and the third? Did the hernia get bigger and cause any discomfort? Did the operation help fix your muscle? My tummy went flat straight after giving birth, the stomach muscles looked like they closed, but somehow the belly button still popped out - big, dark and ugly confusedThe doctor suggested to not take the operation until I'm done with having more children, but I do have pains around the area. I'm having the scan first then seeing the doc again this week. Thank you for sharing your experience smile

flyingpinkrabbit Fri 17-Feb-17 09:34:07

Hippoesque, did you also get diastis rect repaired over the hernia operation ? It seems my diastisis rect is more severe than hernia itself confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now