Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

3 weeks PP- is it possible to breastfeed and have a period

(19 Posts)
Chemistria Mon 23-Jan-17 21:55:37

Hi

I posted a thread before as I've been incredibly anxious about my post birth bleeding due to previous incident with my last baby.

About a week ago the lochia started slowing down until it was yellow the last few days.

Today I suddenly started having heavy red blood loss. It soaked through a pad and my knickers in minutes.

Thought i was dying and rang for an ambulance as I could feel it pouring out.

I'm in hospital now and they have done a full blood count and a swab to check for infection, uterus is contracted fine so unlikely to be retained placenta.

They've said most likely explanation is a very heavy period.
I'm breastfeeding every 2 hours (she gets topped up with formula after a feed in the night) I thought there was no way this could be a period so soon after birth and while breastfeeding.

If anyone has any similar stories can you share please As I'm terrified of going home tomorrow , incase they've got it wrong.

I do feel incredibly stupid so please go easy on me.

I was lying on the floor of my lounge earlier just being convinced I was dying and never going to see my beautiful babies grow up.

haywhenthesunshines Mon 23-Jan-17 22:05:33

flowers
I've no advice but want to say I'm thinking I you. What a horrible thing you are going through. I hope you feel much better soon.

girlelephant Mon 23-Jan-17 22:14:29

No experience but wanted to send you a hug & say I'm thinking of you flowers

Chemistria Mon 23-Jan-17 22:15:32

Thanks. As stupid as I feel I hope it is a period. Keep crying as my baby is at home being bottle fed tonight and I'm terrified she'll lose her ability to latch . X

Shemozzle Mon 23-Jan-17 22:19:07

I have a 4 week old baby who is breastfeeding at least hourly and I am having my first period. I knew it was a period because exactly the same thing happened with my other two children. It's just one of those unfortunate things for some people.

Eclecticmama Mon 23-Jan-17 22:19:47

Were you very active before getting the heavy flow? It could be because activity loosened clots which had formed in the uterus and these came away giving you a heavy flow. I think it'd be unusual to have a period 3 weeks post partum if you're breastfeeding exclusively. *Though I'm not an obstetrician/gynaecologist

Eclecticmama Mon 23-Jan-17 22:20:48

Just seen shemozzle's post - I stand corrected... grin

NickMarlow Mon 23-Jan-17 22:23:10

I exclusively breastfed for the first 6 months and my periods came back from 8 weeks. Nothing like as bad as yours, but still the heaviest period I have ever had, it was horrible. Hope they get you sorted quickly op.

Birdofathousandvoices Mon 23-Jan-17 22:25:11

This happened to me OP. The docs told me it was a period.
It wasn't. I had retained placenta. I won't bore u with my story as it won't be particularly helpful but you're in the right place if there is any risk. Are they going to scan u?
If you are really concerned or have a history of PPH I don't think it would be u reasonable to ask them to scan u before u go home.
flowers

bigchangesabound Mon 23-Jan-17 22:29:21

I exclusively bf my lo and had first period back at 4weeks so it is possible. Felt a bit duped as I missed out on a few period free months sad

Chemistria Mon 23-Jan-17 22:31:22

Thanks for your replies.

bird they've felt my uterus and it has contracted down and I don't have any pain or anything so they said it won't be that. I bloody hope it's not that sad they wanted to send me home tonight but I can't get home anyway plus I'm too scared.

shemozzle was yours really heavy

Chemistria Mon 23-Jan-17 22:33:33

bigchanges did yours start off suddenly heavy? I hope it is my period I guess

reallyanotherone Mon 23-Jan-17 22:37:54

I got my period af 4 weeks too, despite exclusively breastfeeding.

O/p isn't exclusively breastfeeding, she's topping up with formula- and for night feeds, which are when all the breastfeeding hormones are released. Many people don't realise it's those night feeds which are vital for establishing and maintaining supply, so by using formula at night, she could be dampening down the breastfeeding hormones- and making it more likely a period will return.

Hope you're ok o/p.

Birdofathousandvoices Mon 23-Jan-17 22:44:51

Me too, my uterus has contracted because of the hormones given at birth tho. So it was forced if you know what I mean. Plus my notes said placenta was compete.
I didn't have contraction pains or any other things going on.
Hope u get it sorted and that your anxiety settles or u get some support with it flowers

Chemistria Mon 23-Jan-17 22:54:30

Thanks. Bird how long after the birth did you realise you had that?

So maybe even though I'm breastfeeding through the night the fact she's having formula after a feed could mess with my hormones ?

Just going to express some now then try to sleep.

laundryelf Mon 23-Jan-17 23:01:04

My periods returned within 4 weeks of having both my DC, both exclusively breastfed. Hope you feel better soon op.

Chemistria Tue 24-Jan-17 12:57:54

Thanks. Home now, really hope it is my period x

Starryeyed54 Thu 26-Jan-17 11:41:23

I'm EBF and my period came back after 4 weeks. It was horrendous, I was going through pads like there was no tomorrow. It was very heavy but it started slowing down after a few days. They have been what i would consider to be normal since.

Chemistria Sat 28-Jan-17 06:09:36

Thanks Starryeyed. To be honest I don't know if it's a period or not as its got slower then brighter red again since monday! Monday and Tuesday definitely seemed like a period, there's no way of telling anyway for now but I hope it doesn't get worse again. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now