Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Is this lochia normal 12 days PP *pic attached*

(24 Posts)
Chemistria Sat 14-Jan-17 16:43:37

Hi

Really anxious, I had a secondary PPH with DS, I gave birth 12 days ago and my lochia seems to be getting much heavier but only after breastfeeding, I've no idea if this is normal . The MW is coming tomorrow to check but I'm panicking a bit.

Really fed up as its making me so anxious every time she is due for a feed.

YoureMyWifeNowDave Sat 14-Jan-17 16:46:51

Mine was like that for about 2 weeks and always heavier after a feed, my midwife said she was happy with it as long as it didn't smell funny!

Breastfeeding makes your uterus contract which is why the bleeding can be worse just after a feed

Chemistria Sat 14-Jan-17 16:47:52

Did it get worse at all? I'm just a bit concerned as it wasn't this heavy a couple of days ago. Hate being panicky like this. Thanks for your reply x

purplefizz26 Sat 14-Jan-17 16:51:24

That looks normal to me, I didn't breastfeed and had lochia like that for a couple of weeks at least.
It got worse when I did jobs like Hoover or carry bags from the car, like my body was telling me to slow down, but it's all normal smile

YoureMyWifeNowDave Sat 14-Jan-17 16:58:26

I was getting a bit worried with mine as I felt like it was never going to stop, I remember saying to DH the day after the midwife had signed me off that I was going to have to get back in touch as I was still bleeding and then the next morning it had tailed off to almost nothing

ophiotaurus Sat 14-Jan-17 16:59:46

That also looks similar to what I had.

SpeakNoWords Sat 14-Jan-17 17:01:10

I'd say normal too, mine lasted a fair while and would be worse after feeding or doing too much. It looked similar to yours.

passthewineplz Sat 14-Jan-17 17:04:10

As long as there's no offensive smell, you're not feeling unwell, no clots bigger than a 50p and you're not needing to change your pad every hour or less, it looks fine.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sat 14-Jan-17 17:08:34

Mine ebbed & flowed, so to speak, for a good 3 to 4 weeks with my 1st 2 (substantially longer with 3 & 4). My friends lasted 12 weeks after her 1st.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sat 14-Jan-17 17:09:22

It's your uterus contracting as you feed that's making it happen, I found mine was heavier then too.

Chemistria Sat 14-Jan-17 17:54:34

Thanks all, I do feel a bit better now it's just I had the secondary PPH with DS after 18 days so it's like I'm on a countdown ;,( just want to enjoy my beautiful baby but I'm terrified.

All of you who replied. Was it still that red at 12 days after? Everywhere on line it says should be creamy by now

Deadsouls Sat 14-Jan-17 17:56:47

Yes, mine went on for ages and I'd get big gushes of it really inconveniently. If you're concerned phone health visitor or community midwife (do they have those anymore).

SpeakNoWords Sat 14-Jan-17 17:57:35

Yes mine was still red like that. It never really went creamy, more orangey and then it stopped eventually. I'd get a more red colour back if I'd overdone it physically.

Chemistria Sat 14-Jan-17 17:58:52

Thank you ok. Midwife is coming tomorrow morning just to check as I've got myself into a right state. Appreciate all the replies . It doesn't smell funny and no clots thankfully. The only thing is I have period type pain and backache but that's prob from the birth.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sat 14-Jan-17 18:18:31

Yes. Not all the time, it would sort of go to browny cream then start from red again. They won't mind checking particularly given your history.

How can I remember this stuff? I can barely remember what I went upstairs for wink

Chemistria Sat 14-Jan-17 20:20:46

Lol Bernard well all of you helped a lot so thanks a lot, I do need lots of reassurance at the moment. I'm so scared to be left alone with my 2 even for an hour .

Sitting here feeding her now so anxious as she's cluster feeding too

Sardines18 Sun 15-Jan-17 03:54:25

I was very worried like you about this after giving birth 3 months ago. I had that kind of red bleeding for about 8 weeks on and off unfortunately! Always worse after feeding, lighter towards the end, then to brown and stopped at 11 long weeks. it really worried me though like you as most information I found about lochia said red bleeding shouldn't continue beyond a few days!

Chemistria Sun 15-Jan-17 09:48:41

Thanks Sardines. After all the replies this morning I've tried to prepare myself after feeding her, it wasn't as scary but I still sit on the loo and feel very out of control thinking this time it won't stop.

Chemistria Mon 16-Jan-17 18:11:30

Just out of interest, did many of you who has bleeding like this worry it wouldn't stop once it started or did you just accept it would go steady again?

I've had barely anything all day even though I've BF her at least 10 times, then suddenly had a gush after a feed this evening and it's set me back now although reading over this thread again has helped

SpeakNoWords Mon 16-Jan-17 18:44:40

With both of my post natal experiences I had days where I thought the lochia had basically stopped, and then I was surprised by another lot of it. I can see why you're unnerved by your previous experience though.

Carsearching Wed 18-Jan-17 20:00:08

I had that. Bleeding woukd be minimal then suddenly get a gush and yes it did freak me out and crossed my mind. What if it doesn't stop but it did and actually was probably only gushing for a few seconds it just feels a lot and it's a freaky feeling. The bleeding after birth was one of the things I found the hardest so please don't feel silly. It is just one of those horrible things we have to go through. I hope the midwife can be reassuring for you smile

Chemistria Thu 19-Jan-17 09:43:23

Thanks car searching. Yesterday it had slowed a little , didn't have such a big fish after feeding or activity.

Still very anxious but every time I start getting panicky I read this threads replies and it really really helps.

Sardines18 Thu 19-Jan-17 10:11:01

I know how that anxiety feels! I think I was especially sensitive to it because I had bleeding throughout my pregnancy and was the reason I was induced early in the end, I bled a lot after the birth too and passed some membrane (lovely!) and then for weeks afterwards I bled! I would constantly be looking for reassurance. I would definitely have days where it would come back heavier and then slow again, just really a nuisance. At one point I had period like pain with it and it seemed to pick up to being like period level bleeding when it had tapered off for over a week. I was always told unless I was soaking through a pad in an hour, it smelt awful, I was having bad pain with it or a fever then it was fine. You just want it to end though!
Mine ended up only ending after I passed some quite large weird hardened brown blob at 11 weeks post birth.
All that witter was just to say I'm sure you'll be fine

Chemistria Thu 19-Jan-17 10:26:59

Thanks sardines yes it is just reassurance isn't it as unfortunately nothing can make it go away no matter how helpful the replies are smile

That must have been so stressful through your pregnancy to have that sad glad everything was ok though for you.

Today is day 18 PP and I was day 18 when I had the secondary PPH after DS so I'm really hoping once I've passed that that my anxiety will ease a little.

If I passed a hardened brown blob I think I would faint with terror, I wonder what that was?!
Yesterday it started to smell a bit which again worried me but I searched online and it seems loads of people said it started smelling weird about 2 weeks after, seems ok today.

I'd happily give birth every day for a month not to have to have any bleeding afterwards.

Even my periods are a source of anxiety and the second it starts to the end I wear tampons so I don't have to deal with it, so obviously a few weeks of constant bleeding don't do much for my state of mind!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now