Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Night sweats

(23 Posts)
stripeyorangesocks71 Mon 09-Jan-17 10:14:20

Hello everyone. It's been a week and a half since my little one was born and every time I sleep (not that I'm getting an awful lot with a nocturnal baby!) I seem to be getting night sweats really bad. Has anyone else experienced this? And how long did it last for you? Usually I can manage my temp but at the moment I just seem to boil over in bed! confused

Igottastartthinkingbee Mon 09-Jan-17 10:20:00

Hello! It's one of those things that no one tells you will happen isn't it. I got it after both my DC were born, it was worse with my second. Unfortunately it happened for about 6-7weeks and then sporadically for several months. And very occasionally it still happens now blush (DC2 is 2.5yrs), it seems having babies, unsurprisingly, does some strange things to your body!

Igottastartthinkingbee Mon 09-Jan-17 10:20:15

Oh and congratulations!

stripeyorangesocks71 Mon 09-Jan-17 10:23:29

Agreed - it wasn't anything I'd imagined having and no one mentioned it to me. I hope it doesn't last ages then.. how annoying confused
Thanks for your reply smile

Doodles15 Mon 09-Jan-17 10:25:32

I had them too, albeit I had forgotten about them until I spotted this thread! I don't remember them lasting too long. I am due my second inJune so will no doubt be the same again. Congratulations and fingers crossed they pass soon.

Bubble2bubble Mon 09-Jan-17 10:28:27

Goodness yes, horrendous. Clearly remember waking up drenched ( on the rare occasions I got any sleep! ). Not sure how long it lasted but probably not more than a few weeks. I remember the midwife said it was to do with hormone levels readjusting.

GraceGrape Mon 09-Jan-17 10:29:37

Yes, I had them too but had also forgotten! I'm sure it lasted no longer than a couple of weeks for me.

Jos2004 Mon 09-Jan-17 10:31:31

I had the same and it's horrible but they stopped around 6 weeks after birth. Hope yours stop soon smile

mistermagpie Mon 09-Jan-17 10:36:03

God yes. It last about three weeks for me but was so horrendous I had to change my t-shirt twice a night. With that and the lochia and whatever else, I felt disgusting.

I have asked a few friends why nobody ever warned me about this, but it doesn't seem to affect everyone apparently!

stripeyorangesocks71 Mon 09-Jan-17 11:21:39

Thanks everyone smile

Glad it's not just me, I keep telling my DP that my thermostat is bust lol! Hope it does clear up soon though!

Igottastartthinkingbee Mon 09-Jan-17 11:36:49

I used to sleep with a towel underneath me and a towel on top to save changing the bedding, it's so grim isn't it! Hope it passes soon.

Solymar Tue 10-Jan-17 23:11:38

Congratulations!

My lo is ten weeks now and thankfully my night sweats stopped after about two weeks. It's crazy that they don't mention things like this in any of the books or classes I thought I was going crazy constantly checking to see if the radiator was on and couldn't understand why I was waking up drenched!!! X

stripeyorangesocks71 Wed 11-Jan-17 04:07:56

Thank you!

It's not nice is it sad I'm getting rather fed up of being so uncomfortable and drenched in bed now.

QuilliamCakespeare Wed 11-Jan-17 05:23:15

I'm three weeks in and still waking up drenched most nights confused

Phillipa12 Wed 11-Jan-17 05:29:42

But its always a pleasure to wake up and find youve lost 2kgs of weight overnight 😃. I slept on towels to help absorb the sweat and save having to change the bed linen.

Littlelegs19 Wed 11-Jan-17 05:59:22

Mine lasted around 3 weeks, stopped then have decided to come back again 4 weeks later. They really are horrible and I was really surprised as it's not something anyone mentions to you.

spacefrog35 Wed 11-Jan-17 06:04:17

God yes, they were horrific. I also slept on towels blush. I think they eased off around 4 weeks.

Congratulations wine

ElsieBobo Tue 14-Feb-17 07:04:28

Yes, I had to sleep on a towel for weeks. They lasted around 3 months for me.

Mumchatting Wed 15-Feb-17 08:49:29

This is my second baby and I can't remember sweating so bad after my first. I literally wake up in a 'swimming pool' every night! I change my clothes few times at night as they are completely wet.
It's probably something to do with hormonal changes after birth.
It's really awful.

amgine Wed 15-Feb-17 08:52:09

I had none with my first but for about 2 months after my second. Now nearly 2 years down the line I still get them for a couple of nights before I'm due on (just to warn you)

mamahibou Wed 15-Feb-17 08:55:45

I've had it with both of mine. Lasted for months, sporadically, but think for me also linked to breastfeeding. It's hormonal but can also be a sign of post-natal thyroidosis so worth asking for Bloods to be checked at 6 week check if it continues.

Second sleeping in towels and starting each day with a shower!

Bellabelloo Thu 16-Feb-17 00:20:02

I was just about to post about this!! It's awful! I wake up drenched and freezing cold. It's been 2 weeks now. Can't believe it might last for months! Have yours subsided now, OP? X

einalem1984 Fri 17-Feb-17 21:06:20

Yes! Mine lasted for weeks! I would have to change my clothes when I woke up! It's to do with your hormone levels changing I was told, just takes time to settle down x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now