Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Newborn won't latch

(5 Posts)
tilleuls Fri 06-Jan-17 18:23:02

Hi all,
Wondered if anyone has any tips for me. My three day old baby is interested in the breast and roots around, opens her mouth etc. But when I put her on she screams or just falls asleep/doesn't suck. I'm currently pumping every three hours to feed her but I'm desperate to get breastfeeding going!
Any positive stories about this would be appreciated too!! Trying not to get disheartened. I've got extra midwife BF support coming tomorrow too.
Thanks!

Lovelongweekends Fri 06-Jan-17 18:34:46

Keep going, I had the same with both dd2 and dd3. They were both slightly jaundice and were very lazy with feeding - literally I'd put them on the breast and they'd fall asleep. They were both losing weight so were being weighed nearly everyday by the midwife.
I had to try to feed them then pump and feed them with a tiny cup. This continued for about ten days until finally they had the energy to feed properly (although I did still have to poke them awake now and again!).
Once they got going it was fine and there were no more problems, put on weight well and dd2 kept feeding until 1yr old - dd3 only 12wks so still going strong.
One of the problems I found was when my milk came in my breasts were too engorged for them to latch onto properly so I had to squirt so down the sink first. Also they got frustrated when my let down didn't happen quickly enough - expressing a small amount before hand also helped this.

tilleuls Fri 06-Jan-17 18:36:03

Ok great thanks. I might try her with a cup then this evening as I was given bottles at hospital but don't want her to get confused...

Lovelongweekends Fri 06-Jan-17 18:39:30

The cup thing was a tiny thing the midwife gave me with a special lip that they lap from like a kitten.
It was very hard work but worth it (and I'm very stubborn!)

vmilla Mon 09-Jan-17 21:48:39

Have they checked for tounge tie? I used cabbage leaves for my engorged breasts it worked. Breastfeeding counsellor suggested it. Just keep trying and I don't think you should worry about the bottle. As long as you offer the breast too, I think your little baby will just get used to combined feeding which is not a bad thing. And if breastfeeding doesn't work out for some reason please don't feel like you have failed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now