Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

numbness in coccyx area

(7 Posts)
littleflappergirl Tue 03-Jan-17 22:45:48

Hi all
I had my LG 9 months ago & have experienced numbness in my coccyx everytime I sit down it seems to be getting worse as time goes on.
Has anyone experienced this?
I had an induced, epidural, ventouse assisted birth.
Xx

littleflappergirl Tue 03-Jan-17 22:46:18

It's very painful

muminmanchester Mon 09-Jan-17 15:24:28

I dislocated my coccyx in delivery and had the same sensation for about 11 months.

My health visitor referred me to women's health physio. The biggest help was learning how to do pelvic floor exercises properly! Pelvic floors will move the coccyx and work to strengthen the ligaments around the bone. It's really important to release properly after contracting so make sure you fully relax the muscle to avoid spasms.

I also bought a wobble cushion to sit on which takes the pressure off the bone.

Yoga is good too - the 'good cat angry cat' moves and child's pose help to stretch it out.

Definitely ask your GP for a physio referral. I hope it improves for you xx

TwoDogs9 Thu 12-Jan-17 06:35:30

Hi, I had my little boy 9 days ago and he had to be pulled out with forceps after a very long labour. I also had an episiotomy. I too have had excruciating pain in my coccyx since giving birth. It far exceeds the pain of anything else! I've done some research and it seems the coccyx can become bruised, dislocated or even broken during childbirth. Seeing as you have suffered for nine months, I think you should go to your GP and ask what can be done. I hope you manage to get it sorted xx

muminmanchester Thu 12-Jan-17 07:46:42

@twodogs9 that's exactly how I felt immediately after birth. Also forceps and episiotomy. Get your health visitor or GP to refer you to women's physio ASAP so you can start working on it. In the meantime, sitting on frozen peas helps x

TwoDogs9 Thu 12-Jan-17 15:28:45

Thanks @muminmanchester 😊 I've mentioned it to several midwives and a Dr at the hospital and they just shrugged it off and told me it'll heal in time! 😩

LumpishAndIllogical Fri 13-Jan-17 01:18:02

I had severe pain in my coccyx after giving birth and couldn't sit down. Turns out it was a pilonidal abscess which is often misdiagnosed as coccyx injury, this was only resolved through surgery.

The abscess itself was a hard large lump deep in the tissue around my coccyx and no leakage like some people have. (sorry tmi) it was one of the most painful things ever and I gave birth no drugs (yes no gas and air either).

So def get it checked out!

Goodluck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now