Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Silent reflux

(7 Posts)
LondonStill83 Mon 26-Dec-16 20:42:59

Hi all,

I am losing my mind a bit.

DS is 15 weeks, was born 6 weeks early and weighed 4.1lb at birth. He fed well until about six weeks, when his feeds have been getting worse and worse and worse! He arches his back and screams but rarely vomits. I think he may have silent reflux. He did have a tongue tie but we paid to have this fixed. The HV is useless. I am not breastfeeding and he is on nutriprem
2 formula.

We have been giving him infant gaviscon for three days, 3x daily in about 15ml water. It seems to have made only a little different to his feeding, but he is now badly constipted so screams because of that. If anything he is less happy now than before!

I am losing my mind. Does anyone have any advice?? When he isn't arching his back or fighting a feed he is a very happy baby with normal poos, no rashes, etc, so I don't THINK it's a cows milk allergy?

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 26-Dec-16 21:04:54

It could be Cows Milk Protein Allergy or it could be the return of the tongue tie or indeed silent reflux. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell over the Internet.

My best advice would be to film him, read the links and go to the GP tomorrow, with the film and with someone to support you, if that's possible. I've learnt that GPs seem to take more notice if you take back up.

LondonStill83 Mon 26-Dec-16 23:56:09

Thanks for this. The things which make me think it ISNT a milk allergy are that he has no rashes, normal poos, doesn't cry between feeds, and is putting on weight well.

He seems to writhe and cry in pain and refuse the bottle about 30ml into every feed. I feel like it takes that long for the milk to hit his stomach and for the stomach acid to relax. Then he screams and screams and we have to settle him again then offer the rest of the feed. Now that the gaviscon is making him constipated, he also seems to cry when he needs a poo...

LondonStill83 Mon 26-Dec-16 23:57:18

Also I meant to say, he doesn't have bad smelling wind or breath and rarely vomits.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 27-Dec-16 09:12:52

You can have CMPA without rashes, but you are right, it seems unlikely given the lack of other symptoms smile

Have you managed to get a doctor's appointment for today?

LondonStill83 Wed 28-Dec-16 20:28:52

Unfortunately they can't see us until Friday 6 January. I may go crazy between now and then!

Keeley86 Tue 10-Jan-17 04:22:22

Hi does anyone use ain't reflux milk by aptimil?
If so how did u find it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now