Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Is this postnatal depression

(19 Posts)
sammyjayneex Sun 11-Dec-16 23:37:28

My baby boy is 6.5 months old. Ever since he has been Born I have only ever taken him out alone to do the school run which is just up the street from me. I am reluctant to take him out farer distances on my own so most days I stay in the house when my DH is at work ( I am a SAHM) and when he's off work we go out and he takes us out in the car as he drives (I can't drive). I don't know what it is but I'm too scared to take him out alone. He's breastfed and trying out solids at the moment but that's not the issue as I'm comfortable to breastfeed him In public, i would find a cafe to sit in so I know it's not that. I just kept thinking of the 'dangers' in the world which stops me going out. I have had 4 daughters before him and never felt like this, I always took them out and even used public transport but too scared to go on a bus with him as well. I don't know where this is come from but im getting fed up of being stuck in and relying on my DH to take me places when he's off work because I can't do them on my own. I just see the world as a dangerous place, there is so many bad things happening and I'm scared of something happening if I go out. I would like to go to the town centre, to just look around or get a coffee with him but that requires me getting in a bus and taking that step.. what's wrong with me!!!

dramaqueenforever Mon 12-Dec-16 00:09:35

Sorry you are feeling like this OP . Have you got a health visitor ? It may be Pnd - The big worries can be overwhelming .

AverageJosephine Mon 12-Dec-16 00:16:01

It's certainly extreme anxiety. It's very easy to feel anxious, and it seems to have taken hold a bit so definitely talk to your GP.

dramaqueenforever Thu 15-Dec-16 00:33:32

Do you have any friends who could go out with you ? How are you getting on now ? Did experience PND myself quite badly with my second daughter so I do know it can manifest in anxiety . I would really advise you to try and talk to someone about how you feel flowers

NovemberInDailyFailLand Thu 15-Dec-16 00:43:51

Yes, sounds like my experience of pnd. Did you have a rough birth?

Itsmummydear Thu 15-Dec-16 04:58:57

Hello,

Is it ok to share similar - interested in answers as wondering if I have PND.

DD 10 months and I'm just physically and emotionally flat, tearful, feeling overwhelmed, worrying about certain things but borderline obsessive and completely exhausted but struggling to sleep. Really critical of myself as a Mum - I'm a pretty carefree and positive person usually.

Is it just a case of seeing GP? How do they find out if you have it and what is the treatment?

X

NovemberInDailyFailLand Thu 15-Dec-16 05:56:10

It'smummy, you tell your GP what you just wrote here. Those are very very standard symptoms of PND.

Treatment can be counselling, meds or a combination, each person varies. Do get help, though.

Satisfactorylemon Thu 15-Dec-16 06:13:53

That was me. Please get help op. The GP may refer you for counselling or prescribe some meds. If you'd rather not order some CBT self help books.

Itsmummydear Sat 17-Dec-16 14:47:34

Thanks guys - this thread made me finally ask for help and my GP has been amazing. Waiting for new medication assessment from a psychiatrist and referral to counselling...

Wolfiefan Sat 17-Dec-16 14:54:07

Good luck itsmummy.

Satisfactorylemon Sat 17-Dec-16 15:07:08

Hope you feel better soon.

Bauble16 Sat 17-Dec-16 15:15:41

It doesn't really matter what it's called. Anxiety, depression or PND. It sounds like you may need a bit of help facing these fears and getting out for a better quality of life. Can you speak to health visitor or doctor?

Purpleprickles Sat 17-Dec-16 15:35:48

Sammy and Itsmummy as others have said please speak to a sympathetic GP or HV. My anxiety hit when dd was 6 months and was related to her feeding. I broke down at a weighing clinic, one of those times when you don't want to cry but the tears just keep coming and now am being supported by my lovely HV. Owning up to my feelings was the best thing I did as I am feeling so much better already. I've also seen a lovey GP twice and at the moment just need to keep working with my HV and being honest about my feelings. No need for medication yet and hopefully I won't. I think it would have been a different story if I hadn't have got support back in September.

Sammy I have a ds and didn't have this with him. Dd was also very longed for so I was surprised I felt so low but I think that may have been part of my issues because I felt guilty of finding anything about her hard because she was so wanted and unexpected. I guess I felt ungrateful for her and beat myself up about this. I've also made myself go to groups a lot which has helped and if you can get help with how you feel and start to do this I think it will start to help you lots.

Purpleprickles Sat 17-Dec-16 15:37:42

Itsmummy missed your last post blushbut I'm glad you've started to get support flowers

sammyjayneex Sat 17-Dec-16 17:29:00

Itsmummy

I'm glad this thread has helped you too, and I'm glad your getting help you need

My GP just throws pills at me and tells me to self refer myself to this councelling but I think it's a group councelling session , no good when you don't want to spill your whole life in front of strangers

sammyjayneex Sat 17-Dec-16 19:51:09

I think my husband is just adding to my depression but if i leave him my life would be much worse and more stressful. The kids play up really bad for me when he's not here and he will be so difficult if we split up and he will dictate when he has the and he will make life difficult for me. He is going out again tonight. The 4th time in the past 8 weeks. He's not spent a Saturday at home for ages. We have had to rush today so we can get back in time for him to go out. I am dumped with the kids tea and the babies tea and to get them to bed. I've done it all week. It's not fair. If I had family support I could leave him but I gave no family that help. As cruel as it may sound, my mums a waste of space. She literally dragged me up and fed us on tin food like we were going through a war or something (I'm 28)
So she has the funds to fund her and my step dads alcohol and fag habit. She only babysits at night time when he kids are asleep so she doesn't have to do anything. She can't even get on a bus or tram to visit me. She waits for a lift so she's not reliable to me. I have no one. I have no friends, no job. And no man would ever be interested in me again. I should have never have been born. On Saturdays now he's either working a night shift where he finishes the next day and comes home Sunday ( he gets to sleep at night though, he's a support worker) or out with his friends so I spend every Saturday alone. The only reason why he isn't working this Saturday is because he choose to do his night shift on Wednesday instead to make time for his night out tonight. I'm so fed up and depressed of coming last... I've always come last in my life by my mum and dad and now my husband... I should be used to it. The kids are hard work as well. I can't cope sometimes but that's my fault for having kids. I have so many regrets in my life.

Purpleprickles Sat 17-Dec-16 21:54:30

Sammy that all sounds hard and it's no wonder you feel isolated. Can you contact the counselling service and see if it is group counselling? I don't think you would be the only person who wouldn't want to share feelings with strangers. Or do you have a HV who you can talk to? I have found mine so helpful but I had to go through one awful woman first who basically told me off for being anxious because my baby would pick up on it. All true but not helpful.

What about rl friends too? I was too embarrassed to tell anyone how I felt but one of my goals from the HV sessions is to talk about how I feel to others and although it has been very hard to do I've been surprised how they have said they have had similar bad times too.

NovemberInDailyFailLand Sun 18-Dec-16 03:19:40

Sammy, you are 28 with 5 children? That sounds excruciatingly hard. How old are they?

No wonder you feel crap, your husband shouldn't be acting like a single man.

Itsmummydear Mon 19-Dec-16 19:08:10

hi ladies,

My mum had DD last night and I slept 13 hours, felt a lot better for it!

Am seeing a psychiatrist Dr regarding medication and counselling tomorrow at 11. Hopeful that I start feeling better soon...

Made such a difference to know it could be medical and not just me being ungrateful.

I keep thinking, on paper I have everything I ever wanted why am I feeling like this!! My DD wasn't planned and I had a horrid time of it both through pregnancy and after the birth... I wonder if it's all just coming out lately, the shock of the trauma - sounds a bit crazy but it feels like that, I'm getting memories of it all and I guess I just had to numb it all out to carry on with DD at the time...

Roll on tomorrow and I'm also treating myself to a massage straight after!

#treattime

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now